Cheap Meat!

johnquayleiom

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just been to shoprite freezer - theyve got a special offer on - 3 items for a tenner or £4 each. theres some good bargains.

Havent eaten it yet so cant comment on the quality, but its good timing to help me fill my freezer ready for winter.

Have tried most of it - the quality is very good.

I HATE Shoprite for this pretend it's Manx meat trick. One time I accidentally bought some chipolata sausages only to read "Product of the EEC packed by...." when I got home. Oh I was fizzing, I can tell you & they were no good fatty rubbish. I tend to find the meat at supermarkets a bit poor, I think it is cheaper to goto the butchers really and if you go to the one on the terrace they are ALL lovely, theres about 6 staff work there, I have just realised that the butchers on the terrace is my favourite shop, lovely staff, great products and excellent price (I do only shop there, I'm not connected to the shop in anyway). The terrace is a great place to shop these days, they have new people in the Co-op (hurrah!), Robinsons is still a bit 'hit or miss', I got an ace festi coat from the Carers shop £3, bargain! I appear to be rambling..that is all.

I HATE Shoprite for this pretend it's Manx meat trick.

I got an ace festi coat from the Carers shop £3, bargain! I appear to be rambling..that is all.

Yes i dont buy that bollocks line either.

I love getting bargains in the charity shops also but i am really pissed off at the thieving bastards that steal from these places, Save the Children around the corner from the Terrace has closed its changing room because apparently they were losing too much of their donated stock to the thieves, personally i think its a bit crap because if you feel the need to steal from a charity then you're an idiot, but its the customer that suffers because you can no longer try any clothing on, and of course the charity suffers through lack of sales.

I would imagine a lot of the charity shops have this problem but dont deal with it in a way that punishes the customers, i think its a bad management decision! :(

The terrace is a great place to shop these days....

I would tend to agree. however, at night The Terrace does take on a different persona. Agitated and rather unpleasant people going to the hatch in the chemist for their stuff and juvenile delinquents hanging about.

But during the day, yes very nice, and I reckon the best chippy in town.

The terrace is a great place to shop these days....

I would tend to agree. however, at night The Terrace does take on a different persona. Agitated and rather unpleasant people going to the hatch in the chemist for their stuff and juvenile delinquents hanging about.

I think most places have delinquents (of all ages) hanging about these days, i for one would not be happy to walk home alone after a night out, its probably always been like that but in my younger years i (as most young people) was very naive, i miss that sometimes!

It's not that much cheaper if you do the sums, also it ain't Manx, although the label is nearly identical to the ballacushag ones.

I have been in touch with Isle of man meats to ask whether the meat that shoprite are selling is manx and they assured me it is - well all the beef and pork anyway, they couldnt comment on the other stuff as they dont do chicken and fish. They label it with the ballacushag label and by law they must have their "site code which is why there is an EC number on the pack - apparently same as on the milk.

So good to know it is supporting manx farmers i hope.

I HATE Shoprite for this pretend it's Manx meat trick. One time I accidentally bought some chipolata sausages only to read "Product of the EEC packed by...." when I got home. Oh I was fizzing, I can tell you & they were no good fatty rubbish. I tend to find the meat at supermarkets a bit poor, I think it is cheaper to goto the butchers really and if you go to the one on the terrace they are ALL lovely, theres about 6 staff work there, I have just realised that the butchers on the terrace is my favourite shop, lovely staff, great products and excellent price (I do only shop there, I'm not connected to the shop in anyway). The terrace is a great place to shop these days, they have new people in the Co-op (hurrah!), Robinsons is still a bit 'hit or miss', I got an ace festi coat from the Carers shop £3, bargain! I appear to be rambling..that is all.

The local butchers provide meat to shoprite.

Ballacushag? where is that? Which butchers? I think you need to look more closely at the labels. Where do they cure the gammon over here?

As I said earlier Isle of man meats are supplying the red meat to shoprite - they are the abattoir and looks athough they are also doing the butchering (butchery?). The label is just shoprites own brand. I have heard manx gammon is actually made from manx pork which has been sent away for curing and brought back. Dont know if thats true but thats what i was told when i bought some in the butchers in onchan.

I dont know about curing but some bacon is smoked on the Island, i'm sure Desmonds fishmonger in Ramsey was doing it at one point, dont know if they still do or not, i would imagine curing is also done on the Island somewhere as it is a relatively easy process, i dont know why it would be needed to send it away if the pork is manx!

Ballacushag? where is that? Which butchers? I think you need to look more closely at the labels. Where do they cure the gammon over here?

I think it's stuff like sausages, I've seen the butchers in Onchan making deliveries to shoprite in the past.

I dont know about curing but some bacon is smoked on the Island, i'm sure Desmonds fishmonger in Ramsey was doing it at one point, dont know if they still do or not, i would imagine curing is also done on the Island somewhere as it is a relatively easy process, i dont know why it would be needed to send it away if the pork is manx!

Moore's bacon (available at Desmond's etc) is smoked at the kipper place in Peel. I do not know if it is from local pigs however. It does not say that it is on the website.

**** Recommended ****

http://www.manxkippers.com/index.html

Archived