Low Income

traveller

The department of Work and Pensions in the UK define it as "60 per cent of median equivalised household disposable income" whatever that means.

I know they're probably linked, but that's the definition of poverty isn't it?

I'd probably say low income was the point where someone is no more than two packpackets away from being unable to meet their bills (?)

I suppose a fairly good marker to work with would be if the family qualified for Family Income Supplement or not, which takes into consideration childcare costs and so forth.

At the very least you can work out a basic prescribed amount for your individual family circumstances and then see if you are above or below that amount.

what would you say to 1,920 working hours x the minimum wage £5.80(?) = £11,136 is that a "low income"?

I know people on less. You might be better phrasing it as just 37 hours a week btw.

As monkey says though, depends what the circumstances are. If you're planning on printing off this thread and taking it to your boss to ask for pay rise, I think we'll need more details.

what would you say to 1,920 working hours x the minimum wage £5.80(?) = £11,136 is that a "low income"?

There are plenty of junior office worker who are on similar or less. Depends on what sort of job you are doing, and your age / experience.

Archived