[BBC News] Dairy farming in "parlous state"

Newsbot

The milk industry on the Isle of Man is in a worrying state, according to the head of the National Farmers Union.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/8264293.stm

Can anybody explain this situation?

If it costs 30 pence per litre to produce can't the farmers refuse to sell it for less than that?

And why do supermarkets charge over £1 per litre just for putting it on their shelves?

He hit out at the “gross unfairness” of the milk marketplace where farmers were paid 3p below the 25.5p a litre cost of production, yet processor margins had soared by 28 per cent to 21.9p per litre and supermarkets were up 2 per cent to 19.1p per litre.

sums it up really, as to where the cost are and why u pay what u pay.

theres companys exporting milk from the uk to the EU as well

Hang on, dont the farmers sell the milk to themselves, ie the IOMMMA, who set the buy in and sell out price to the consumer.?

Last i looked we were actually over producing milk, the excess being turned into dairy product which is exported for buttons to atract an export subsidy from the public purse.

No mention in the article about production levels just a spin on the squeezing out of smaller producers.

Could be a preramble to slipping a load more public money to farmers.

Milk aint cheap when you pay for it four times.

Hang on, dont the farmers sell the milk to themselves, ie the IOMMMA, who set the buy in and sell out price to the consumer.?

Last i looked we were actually over producing milk, the excess being turned into dairy product which is exported for buttons to atract an export subsidy from the public purse.

No mention in the article about production levels just a spin on the squeezing out of smaller producers.

exactly the same for meat production here regarding the processing costs, BUT manx lamb is cheaper in Liverpool than it is in Douglas even with the transport costs which we are told is why incoming goods cost more on the island?? and as it is illegal to import raw meat to the island you can't even buy the manx product in liverpool at 2/3 the price and bring it BACK!! i wouldn't call that importing, more case of repatriation?? as it stands though bringing manx meat to the isle of man ( where it was produced!! ) is illegal??

exactly the same for meat production here regarding the processing costs, BUT manx lamb is cheaper in Liverpool than it is in Douglas even with the transport costs which we are told is why incoming goods cost more on the island?? and as it is illegal to import raw meat to the island you can't even buy the manx product in liverpool at 2/3 the price and bring it BACK!! i wouldn't call that importing, more case of repatriation?? as it stands though bringing manx meat to the isle of man ( where it was produced!! ) is illegal??

Ive heard about being able to buy manx meat cheaper in liverpool - im going on a day trip in a couple of weeks and would love to buy some just so i can say I have. Do you know where I can get some?

There's the bottom line. That'll fix it till next time.

Archived