The Dhoo Glass Experience

Declan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Dhoo Glass Experience

With Monorail*

*well funicular railway.

4 million pounds for a Visitor Centre gateway to the island. And there are shops in strand Street that need a coat of paint.

When will these people learn there are very few visitors these days.

We need ongoing maintenance and a few notice boards not another interpretation centre.

I think it's a brilliant idea

In fact I am going to apply for a job there when it opens, I shall dig out my Steam Packet jumper, grow a long white beard, smoke a clay pipe and tell huge maritime porkies to the visitors

May even get one of those daft Victorian captains hats that old blokes wear to imply some kind of nautical past

We need ongoing maintenance and a few notice boards not another interpretation centre.

I agree, it all seems a bit Field of Dreams. There's already the Manx Museum and the House of Mannanan catering for the Island's history, alongside smaller venues and large historical sites such as Castle Rushen and Peel Castle. If these aren't drawing in those elusive visitors, I don't see why anyone would think that a 'visitor centre' (a ridiculous name for what is essentially another museum) will make that much of a difference. It's not like there are thousands of people teetering on the verge of booking tickets and who would surely succumb to the Island's charms if only there were another venue.

Really the Dhoo Glass experience is development for the sake of it: the kind of scheme that appeals primarily to those who are easily impressed by large budgets and novelty and long to be associated with a substantial project regardless of whether it's actually a good idea or not, or if there are more pressing concerns than dangling another multimillion carrot in the air and hoping to god that enough tourists will think it appealing to make the whole thing worth while.

Archived