The Dhoo Glass Experience

Declan

Spending 4 million quid on this would indeed be barmy, as has been said: few visitors and we already have a perfectly good museum that offers/can offer just the same. No way should this be funded in any shape or form by Joe Taxpayer.

For £4M we could get a roundabout, an extra 8 feet of runway extension or 5 magic beans to plant.

Further proof, even though the case is already well proven, that we are being led by the least of us.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YES! And as Douglas already has a funicular railway, they should repair and re-instate it - the Falcon Cliff Lift.

There also used to be one below the Camera obsura why not rebuild that one and get more foot-traffic through camera house since we paid a large fortune to have that saved, while they are there clear out 'Capt (Chaos) Carters' dumping ground up by the carpark above the coastguard building

In fact I am going to apply for a job there when it opens, I shall dig out my Steam Packet jumper, grow a long white beard, smoke a clay pipe and tell huge maritime porkies to the visitors

I thought 'Capt Carter' already does that for a living or are you only going to start doing it to 'cover' when he has days off

And yes, the popular 'Doo Glas' etymology of Douglas is now widely rejected.
I never understood this. I have read quite different things. I have read Doolish mean Black stream. And Douglas means Dhoo+Glass. However, that doesn't make sense. Is it simply an anglicised version Dhoolish, therefore meaning Black stream?

Generally it is more a Black Pool ie a deep harbour , Dublin translates the same as, strangely, so does Black pool! This non tidal means of berthing is what made Douglas the main town. Probably we have Buck Whalley to thank for that.

Some of the Manx heads now tell us that it is Ghoolish, not sure of the pronunciation.

And yes, the popular 'Doo Glas' etymology of Douglas is now widely rejected.
I never understood this. I have read quite different things. I have read Doolish mean Black stream. And Douglas means Dhoo+Glass. However, that doesn't make sense. Is it simply an anglicised version Dhoolish, therefore meaning Black stream?

Generally it is more a Black Pool ie a deep harbour , Dublin translates the same as, strangely, so does Black pool! This non tidal means of berthing is what made Douglas the main town. Probably we have Buck Whalley to thank for that.

Some of the Manx heads now tell us that it is Ghoolish, not sure of the pronunciation.

I thought it was the meeting of the Dhoo (black) and Glass (green) rivers.

The Dhoo comes down from Union Mills and the Glass from Tromode.

They meet at the Quarter Bridge and continue in to Dhoolish

Generally dismissed as coach driver easy history , the Dhoo [black] and the glass [white or silver] meet at Polrooish [pulrose] by the milestone [2nd]which is well out of Douglas in old times, the first milestone was on the wall of the office [customs?] at the swing bridge.

Even the Manx wouldnt be calling a town Blackwhite.

Generally dismissed as coach driver easy history , the Dhoo [black] and the glass [white or silver] meet at Polrooish [pulrose] by the milestone [2nd]which is well out of Douglas in old times, the first milestone was on the wall of the office [customs?] at the swing bridge.

Even the Manx wouldnt be calling a town Blackwhite.

Douglas would be 'Deadfishturdluant' by now though.

Living at the top of the steps this is something we have interest in!

Good point - we can get the lift up and save legs from the steps lol

Bad point - we'll lose the view!

BUT - this is the govt we're talking about so even if it does come off it'll be about 20 yrs from now, and its stops Dandara building flats to sit empty on the land!

Archived