Should Teachers Be Able To Spell And Punctuate?

Terse

CLICK

A few years ago, the question wouldn't have needed to be asked - it would have been an automatic disqualification from teaching if someone wasn't capable of mastering such basic tasks themselves or, at the very least, being conscientious enough to check whether their work was correct - but does it really matter any more?

I think that it is very important for teachers to be able to spell and punctuate correctly. I'm a bit of a pedant for punctuation and I would like my children to be taught correctly whilst they are at school. (I hate people who send me text and emails that are abbreviated (like gr8 wud b or r u) and are unpunctuated).

This then begs the question, should driving instructors be able to drive, should flight instructors be able to fly a plane, should music teachers be able to play an instrument? And if so, why should school teachers be any different?

It would make the interview for teachers for sex education interesting.

My friend's 11 year old son points out with great glee errors in punctuation

For example

Queens Road

Queens Hotel

Governors Hill

St Georges Football Club

All missing their apostrophe in the singular.

At least he is being taught a bit of correct grammer at school.

This then begs the question, should driving instructors be able to drive, should flight instructors be able to fly a plane, should music teachers be able to play an instrument? And if so, why should school teachers be any different?

Yes to all.

Although if a maths teacher ONLY taught maths, I wouldn't be bovvered, innit?

The government insist on 'O' level English for most jobs. If a teacher can't communicate, including proper spelling and punctuation, then I can't see them being very good.

The one exception I would make would be in employing dyslexic teachers, as people can be dyslexic and still make good teachers e.g. like my old science teacher (not English teachers etc. though) That said, until the internet arrived, I'd been searching librararies for years for Alburt Eyestine's autobiography with no luck.

Slightly off topic - but at my alma mater we had an art master who would stutter on words beginning with P.

p-p-p-p-paper

p-p-p-p-p-paint

p-p-p-p-pencil

p-p-p-p-portrait

p-p-p-p-picture

One of the biology staff had bad handwriting and when he wrote 'work' it looked like 'wank' - my school reports contained gems like:

"Has wanked well this year" or "Can wank harder if he wants to"

OK - Topic back on

Archived