[BBC News] Trainee Pc praised for sea rescue

Newsbot

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big well done. I think it's great we have people willing to rescue like that.

People shouldn't underestimate this I think. Many people just don't realise how cold and body-disabling the sea water is around here, never mind in the dark and after a few beers. Too many idiots on this island have thought going for a swim after a few beers was a good idea...and several never got rescued. Big profile fine for the guy rescued and a big profile congrats to the officer would be a good way forward IMO.

The guy who was in there should get done IMO if he went in deliberately. Also, in such circumstances (don't know if one was involved) but if an ambulance is called out the costs are around £500 - even if the guys health was just checked out afterwards, there are also costs involved. Any fine for a deliberate act should at least reflect these costs IMO, and serve as a deterrent to other idiots.

Well what more can anyone offer other than recognition of this singular act in respect of one officer? It would be pretty boring if everyone jumped on with "Isn't he marvellous, aren't these police fantastic!" etc. Whereas the other thread is something about how the whole police force operate.

I'm sorry, isn't that what your doing, jumping on the band wagon. We are talking about two comments about police paperwork. And that is supposed to be representative of how every police officer does his paperwork. I don't wish to make this personal because that is not the point I was trying to make, but how do you know how the local police operate from your home in Salford?

We can all ring the press up and make comment and yes any organisation will try to put their best face forward (and they all do) but is the bashing of the organisation as a whole, a realistic representation of the service delivered or just an over the top statement, which could have achieved more by being directed directly to the person involved instead of tarring everyone with the same brush.

Paperwork is one thing but I would rather have the police made up of doers who do, but occasionally err, than ones who just don't bother. At least this side of the water you can still call the police and no matter how small the problem it will in general, be looked at. I can fully understand where you are coming from if your experience has been that of some of the people who daily appear in the National newspapers.

As for balls, its easy to be outspoken when no one is in a position to argue with you. Lets not forget the most dangerous thing most lawyers have done is open a letter with a letter knife. They are equipped to talk about the event afterwards not deal with it.

I don't really know what you are trying to get at. Is your point of view one of seeing this other incident with Moyle as an example of a criticism that overshadows the (supposedly) good work the police do as a whole? If so, then why would the actions of an individual officer in a specific random act be treated in the same manner by overshadowing the bad that they do.

This point has nothing to do with my thoughts on how the police operate. I can't stand the police force so it makes no difference whether we are talking about Salford or the Isle of Man. However, the point I was making is that there isn't much that can be said be about the manner of this rescue. And it is a rather simple affair. Whereas the matter that Moyle is discussing is contentious and maybe requires discussion by those who are interested in the possible implications.

I admire your honesty even if we don't agree on points. The point I am trying to make is that when it comes to criticism it is leveled as a whole even if it it is one person that is the issue rather than heroism which is is always the the individual, even if the organisation as a whole repeatedly performs such acts. Do you hate the police in general for what they are or is it the result of an individual incident? Curious?

I see. Something to think about as to why that is. Won't answer that now. But I do not personally believe that heroism is something that is regularly seen with the police. It would be more useful to qualify what you mean by heroism. Do you simply mean brave acts or duties that involve some bravery?

I don't like the police for what they are, not because of a personal incident, though that is not to say I haven't had any personal negative 'issues' with them (and there have been good ones). But that's not where my stance on them originates.

There again, I have heard a contrary view to the heroism, it went something like ' He went in alone, in the dark, fortunately they didn't have to fish out two bodies.' Not saying that I agree but it is a contrary view.
Hmm, but what about the personal conscience of the officer who witnessed this situation. Could he really have held back from trying to save someone who was drowning? Bit hard to standy by and do nothing.

There again, I have heard a contrary view to the heroism, it went something like ' He went in alone, in the dark, fortunately they didn't have to fish out two bodies.' Not saying that I agree but it is a contrary view.
Hmm, but what about the personal conscience of the officer who witnessed this situation. Could he really have held back from trying to save someone who was drowning? Bit hard to standy by and do nothing.

Yeah, the officer could have stood by and watched the man drown, but as it is, most people are endowed with a conscience and would rather attempt a rescue even at risk to their own life. That really is one of the redeeming qualitites of humans, against all the shit ones.

And if he hadn't tried to rescue him, deeming it too dangerous, there would probably be a strong adverse public reaction against what would be percieved as the influence of 'health and safety'.

Archived