No Legal Proceedings Over Listening Device

lectro

An investigation into the alleged use of a covert listening device, found in an interview room at Police Headquarters in Douglas, has finished.

Home Affairs Minister, Phil Braidwood (pictured), received a copy of the report at lunchtime today (Wednesday), and has made a statement to Tynwald about the findings of the Cheshire Constabulary.

It concludes the device was installed in 1979, the same year the building was completed, and was used to listen to conversations until 1999.

Its use was widespread and routine.

However, Mr Braidwood said there were no procedures in place to regulate the use of such equipment, and it is unclear who installed the device.

He said there was no evidence that conversations between advocates and clients were listened into, and so no officers would be subject to legal proceedings.

Mr Braidwood assured members that adequate regulations were now in place.

From Manx Radio Website

What a sort of place is the Isle of Man turning into?

From my understanding, policemen listening in to their colleagues interrogating suspects is common practice and not illegal. That's what the 'bug' was there for. (You see it all the time in films)

Listening to suspects private conversations with their lawyers is illegal - so they switch the device off when this happens.

The allegations were that on some occasions they listened in to these private conversations - which was denied by all and no proof was found.

It seems to be a lot of fuss about not a lot.

They cannot use covert listening as evidence without approval -

so you could say "yeh it was me" to your mate but if they had no permsiion for listening covertly then it is a form of entrapment and as such un-admissable as evidence.

The question should be "was any of the information gathered by the covert spying ever admissed as evidence?"

And if so - mis-trial end of.

They cannot use covert listening as evidence without approval -

so you could say "yeh it was me" to your mate but if they had no permsiion for listening covertly then it is a form of entrapment and as such un-admissable as evidence.

The question should be "was any of the information gathered by the covert spying ever admissed as evidence?"

And if so - mis-trial end of.

I suppose the use of a covert listening device could also have an effect on the line of questioning being used on the suspect.

Parts of the article I read in todays Inde newspaper made me smile/cringe/vomit:

the bit where it said that some of the policemen intervviewed were 'extremely anxious' - I bet they were! Worried someone was listening in, who shouldn't have been? What a shocker for an innocent person to have their rights violated in such a manner!!<_<

the bit where it said something about the complete lack of ethical concern by many of the officers :o

the bit where it said it had been set up for training purposes - oh yes, pull the other one officer, give the man a raise who thought that gem up. ;)

Do they seriously expect any rational person to believe that they turned it off just because an advocate was in the room with his client? Why have the device otherwise if you cant use any of the 'evidence' gathered there? Do they think we all came up the Clyde on a banana boat or what?

And yes they do have listening devices in the movies and on tv - but in real life the rooms are set up specially for it and you have to get warrants to use them - they don't have concealed microphones leading to a 'faulty' headset in a storeroom for heaven's sake!! What pathetic idiot thought that was a good idea and that noone would ever know or tell tales out of school...!?

And I'm so glad the previous chief constable didn't know anything about it - that makes it alright then. Phew, what a relief for everyone. :rolleyes:

Archived