Dot Completes Work On Johnny Watterson's Lane

isleofman.com News

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever the actual completion day, I'm impressed that they've worked well ahead of schedule and it'll make an awkward and dangerous road more safer.

So well done guys for finishing lots earlier than expected.

How was it awkward or dangerous? It was about 200 yards of road with a 30mph speed limit and 2 bends and a junction in it. Not having a go here just asking a simple question.

As someone said earlier, it sounds like it's to make room for a new housing estate more than anything else.

Hi Terminal,

Its nice to get a question from members without being called names etc., so thank you for putting it nicely.

I've been down that road many times and the flooding in a certain area meant that you lost traction and on top of that, the camber of the bend and rough bouncy road was a real pain at times, not forgetting the occasional car would veer over onto a bit of the other side of the road.

I can only see it from my perspective and although I haven't seen an accident there, I've seen some close shaves.

As for the housing estate, I'm sure the big boys will have sewn all that area up by now and I'd be extremelly surprised if they didn't know each individual plot of land around the island, using the old excuse that the place has to expand. I'm sure Old Scollag Road will be upgraded in the future.

I know a foreman who worked on this project and he worked very hard 6 days a week almost every week. These gangs are only doing the work they are told to do and when to do it by. Job well done I think.

I know there are DOT gangs who are lazy bastards and do a crap job. its always the same - the minority balls it up for the majority.

I was under the distinct impression from the start that this was a 10 week project... I can't confirm where I read that - but 9 weeks completion seems to fit into that initial estimation. Certainly the first I've heard of it being an expected 34 week project.

Did anyone else think it was a 10 week plan?

Okay... just re-read the article, and realised that it was a 34 week project, yet really... a 10 week project? I should tell my boss a particular project will take me 100 hours... then later estimate 20 hours, complete it in 18 hours and he can say how fantastic I am for doing a 100 hour project in 18 hours. Yay! DOT!

Don't worry. Their ambitions will only get better now they've set their latest benchmark.

Their next project to re-surface a 10 metre stretch of of road is estimated to take 69 weeks at an approved Tynwald budget of £15 million.

Then someone will announce that they had made a successful job of it by doing it in only 9 weeks and only spending 11 million.

Then there will be photos of politicians at the scene blowing smoke up each others arses.

Final result = a road that didn't really need re-surfacing but got a nice layer of tracmac. Job well done boys.

maybe they will now move these super fast hard workers to the joke road works going on in upper foxdale. Its taken for ever and has to be said everytime I drive past there is either noone there (4:10 pm & 8:15am) or if there is a few souls there most are propping up the fencing they put up.

Archived