[BBC News] Police issue fake £1 coin warning

Newsbot

Not sure why this is suddenly news, I know a shopkeeper in central douglas who complained of customers passing counterfeit coins at least two years ago and has had the problem ongoing.

A trick worth knowing is drop the coin on a hard floor, the real coins bounce the counterfeits don't, I was shown this by a market trader friend of mine many years ago.

A trick worth knowing is drop the coin on a hard floor, the real coins bounce the counterfeits don't, I was shown this by a market trader friend of mine many years ago.

How many of you tested this theory? :) *runs off with a handfull of coins to try*

How many of you tested this theory? :) *runs off with a handfull of coins to try*

It has worked every time I have tried, the counterfeits are made to be the same size and weight as the normal coin but are made from a different metal so they behave differently when dropped.

I wonder if anyone has faked those coin without dates on them... very valuable apparently.... mmmm....

Archived