Only In The Iom

Terse

Front page story in the Courier

He was due to fly to Luton at 8:30pm on Friday and was asked to remove his jacket and shoes. He handed in his jacket, but as he went through security, he still had his footwear on.

...when told to remove them, he told staff he had travelled all over the world and never had to remove his shoes or sandals.

He eventually handed them to security with the comment 'there are my explosive sandals.'

The result?

He was arrested under the terrorist act on Friday and appeared in court on Saturday!

He was jailed for four months, suspended for two years, and fined 500 pounds.

Mr Moyle told him it was a very serious matter. "I have hesitated as to whether to send you straight to prison. I don't like foolish comments.

He was also given an exclusion order for five years.

Aren't you glad to know our airport security is so vigilant?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just the IOM they take it so seriously I've witnessed it in manchester where some smart arse decided saying "ha ha, yeah there's a bomb in there" was a good idea.

He was removed from the room fairly efficiently.

God knows what would happen if you tried it in an american airport, they take themselves even more seriously. I imagine you would probably just be shot.

Just wonder where under the terrorist act it says you can be arrested and charged because you're frustrated by over zealous and unnecessary officaldom and for making a stupid comment?

Sledgehammer/crack/walnut

If you think it's only in the IOM, try saying the same thing yourself as you go through a US/UK airport security check and see what happens.

There was a guy refused on a BA flight because he had a 'Transformers' T-shirt on which had a robot with a gun printed on the t-shirt.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-.../20080641317814

Mr Moyle told him it was a very serious matter. "I have hesitated as to whether to send you straight to prison. I don't like foolish comments.
Now that appears to be a foolish comment. "I don't like foolish comments"? Well...maybe the guy was a fool and it can't be blamed. If you thought you would get this treatment by referring to your SANDALS as explosive then be happy about being a fool.

Did they test these sandals for explosives I wonder?

Front page story in the Courier

He was due to fly to Luton at 8:30pm on Friday and was asked to remove his jacket and shoes. He handed in his jacket, but as he went through security, he still had his footwear on.

...when told to remove them, he told staff he had travelled all over the world and never had to remove his shoes or sandals.

He eventually handed them to security with the comment 'there are my explosive sandals.'

The result?

He was arrested under the terrorist act on Friday and appeared in court on Saturday!

Having just gone through 4 airports on a business trip, twice through Ronaldsway, I'm glad that someone tried to make a stand against the unhelpful overly difficult twats in the IoM. They seem to run security like its an international airport not some pissy UK backwater. They are serially unhelpful just for the sake of it - if you have a bag, a laptop, and a jacket and belt that's three separate bloody trays through the x-ray machine. Just come back through London City - a busy airport where security is 5 times less hassle than in the IoM and never once got the impression I get from the government employed Bottom Inspectors at Ronaldsway.

They are serially unhelpful just for the sake of it - if you have a bag, a laptop, and a jacket and belt that's three separate bloody trays through the x-ray machine. Just come back through London City - a busy airport where security is 5 times less hassle than in the IoM and never once got the impression I get from the government employed Bottom Inspectors at Ronaldsway.

Yes but London is not on top of Bin Ladens list 10 favourite places to hide.

Given that there's that massive Al Qaeda hideout on Barrule, it's a good job Bush has gone or we'd be woken by Predator strikes every morning.

Seriously: It goes to show that employing intellectually challenged cretins still han't been affected by the global recession in the IOM.

I expect the only previous taste of power most of them have had was taking the family dog for a walk and even then they were the stupidest of the two involved in the process.

Who are these people? I was thinking of getting a 'security guard' badger off the DoHA, ooooh the power, I'd get to make people take off their shoes, feel people up at random and take their drugs off them, yeah yeah, TheBees security, I'm a serious security person....

Like you say blue, the only power those airport clown security have ever had before is that of bossing the dog about, lol, I like that :)

Seriously: It goes to show that employing intellectually challenged cretins still han't been affected by the global recession in the IOM.

I expect the only previous taste of power most of them have had was taking the family dog for a walk and even then they were the stupidest of the two involved in the process.

Never mind the stupidity of the lumbering troll-like security guards - that's the reason they hire them, to brainlessly follow whatever orders they are given. What about their more dangerous and sinister overlords who imposed a 4 month prison sentence on a man who made an ill-advised joke about having explosive sandals?

Clear misuse of anti-terrorist legislation which is (the clue is in the name) designed to catch terrorists, not stupid tourists. But perhaps they were working under the assumption that everyone who wears sandals is a suicide bomber.

I'm even having trouble accepting the genuineness of this story. I can't find it on any website.

Archived