Tv Licence

chandler

Why are we paying £142.50 a year to the BBC for a tv licence on the island, What do we get for it, Why are we FORCED to purchase it and why does our Manx government allow the BBC to come over and prosecute Island folk. Yes it really annoys me, just thought i'd throw this one out for comments.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are we paying £142.50 a year to the BBC for a tv licence on the island, What do we get for it, Why are we FORCED to purchase it and why does our Manx government allow the BBC to come over and prosecute Island folk. Yes it really annoys me, just thought i'd throw this one out for comments.

I personally think its worth it, the bbc is superb.

Compared to what I pay for mostly shit via my Satellite it's outstanding value for money.

Exactly. My Sky bill must be about £700 a year and for what? Repeats and more repeats. Oh and the option of watching some of the (almost) latest movies - but only if I pay extra on top for them. I feel a Humax HDR coming along soon and Sky boxes being binned.

You're not forced to purchase it, I don't have a TV, so TV licencing can go forth and multiply.

Problem is, when you phone up the people who have it all "in the database", it turns out that database is less reliable than a 1980's Rover.

I can't receive a TV signal down here - house at the bottom of the hill where the mast is - would need all sorts of work done to get a signal, or a monster expensive sky installation with extension through the garden, etc, so in the end decided to not bother and simply not watch tv at home.

So phoned the TV Gestapo up ages ago to tell'em exactly that, including my name, address, that I don't watch telly and that they're welcome to stop by and see for themselves. The SS Officer on the phone sounded like a protagonist from planet of the apes, just with less keyboard skills, and duly noted everything down with a level of service and friendliness last experienced on Aeroflot flights during the 1970's. At least I thought they now know and the red letters would stop.

Did they fuck.

Still getting the "You're such a criminal and the reason Jonathan Ross and his family are starving" letters on a regular basis. Great database that is. Can I be arsed telling them again? Can I fuck. If the TV Stasi can't keep their records in order, then that's not my problem. It just shows that they can't be trusted with personal information as someone somewhere must have lost mine.

Though I would be interested to know why you think it is, such as whether it is for the programmes you watch or listen to, but the problem is that many, many people do not agree. If they don't watch or listen to it, why should they finance it?

I see that miserable bastard David Cameron is saying that he'd reduce the licence fee by £6.00. That sums that despicable man up. £6 is a petty nitpicking sum that will make no difference to anyone's budget but it'll reduce the standard of the bbc accross the board and then we'll all be the losers.

Quoted for truth. There is so much available from the BBC and I only use a fraction of it myself but the stuff I do use (BBC HD, iPlayer, BBC2/3/4, BBC website, Radio 2/4/5Live/World Service) is worth every penny of the fee IMHO. Some of the programming and content is the best in the world by a country mile. It's one of the few things that is value for money these days and I can't for the life of me think why people throw huge money at the hugely overrated Sky and then complain about the modest licence fee.

Do I think Ross and Norton et al are overpaid? Yes absolutely and a waste of money in my opinion but lots of people like them and what's great about the BBC is they do try to cater for everyone. I don't watch them or cBeebies nor do I listen to BBC3 or 1Xtra but I don't begrudge the fact that they make content for others when there is so much fabulous stuff that I do watch and listen to.

If they don't watch or listen to it, why should they finance it?

Public service broadcasting. They make, commission and broadcast content for all tastes and if they didn't then nobody else would. It's a public service and not everyone will use all of it. It's not ITV/Sky appeal to the lowest common denominator broadcasting.

I have to pay rates for public services that I don't or would never use and while I might moan about it I wouldn't begrudge anyone else the use of these services.

Yes, they TRY and cater for all tastes but a lot of people do not find it caters for them and from what I believe more and more people feel that way as other sources of entertainment are popping up.

Are you also trying to say that if the public pay for something it has some value? Or that simply because some people use a public good it has value? And we are talking about television and radio, not essentials.

Archived