What's Best?

Upstream

In my long-haired student days back in the 70's I met many people who were Anarchists. They deeply believed in it too, and were for real.

They were intelligent decent people on the whole.

As with most folk, I treated them as people to mildly bait in political discussion, a form of amusement really.

More and more though, as I get older, I can see their point. Maybe I've been back on the Island too long . . .

Maybe I should just go with the flow . . .

Those who believe in anarchy really have to have a blind faith in human nature.

It could only truly work if everyone really did feel equal, with no greed, no jealousy, no ambition, no power struggle, no clash of interests.

Alas, this will never be the case so anarchy could only exist in the 'dog eat dog' sense which would result in mayhem and misery for many.

Lord of the Flies here we come.

Mankind started off with anarchy, and there was a natural progression away from it.

If we went back to anarchy, you'd get all the hardest bastards forming little gangs that would fight for control. Eventually one of the gangs would get big enough to be called an army, the gang leader would call himself king, and we'd start all over again.

Mankind started off with anarchy, and there was a natural progression away from it.

If we went back to anarchy, you'd get all the hardest bastards forming little gangs that would fight for control.  Eventually one of the gangs would get big enough to be called an army, the gang leader would call himself king, and we'd start all over again.

But surely the 'king' in such a scenario has got there on merit, no matter how dubious that merit might seem.

I see some of the fat cats that are leading our society (I don't mean politicians here - they are the puppets and fall guys in the system) and I wonder what stunts they've pulled to get there.

At least you know where you stand with a super-thug.

ps looking at Speckled Frost's link

capelocracy - government by shopkeepers

that's us that is (and nothing wrong with that, btw)

I found it depressing, today, listening on Manx Radio to our CM talking about his Methodist influenced upbringing.

Methodism seems so small minded to me. It seems like an unfortunate influence on the IOM. Why on earth did it ever take hold? It really seems like the curmudgeonly wing of Christianity.

I'm glad I wasn't brought up by people who had been influenced by Methodism - or any other version of low - church Christianity. It's such an uninspired, dull and prescriptive world view. Which is why their hymns are such dirges. Compare the Wesley rubbish with Pergolesi or Handel.

Anarchists are too right wing IMO. They always seem to end up believing in survival of the most fitted to adapt.

1124_08.gif

Archived