Which Is Best?

Upstream

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after reading that tescos get £1 out of every £8 spent in the entire retail industry I decided not to shop there anymore. too big and too filthy rich. But as for the question, I prefer shoprite as it has more manx stuff. the best bags for dog poo are those stripey crappy pink or blue bags you get from markets, they have no holes for poo to ooze from!

Desmonds in Ramsey and Derereau in Douglas for fish. Teares in Ramsey for beef and lamb cuts.

I bought some mussels from Tesco one day when I was in a rush - but too many of them were DOA. So I don't really yet trust Tesco for fresh seafood.

I went to a restaurant in Chester once. Some of my companions ordered mussels, I said I would not have any as I considered Chester to be too far from the sea. I got some looks that evening!

I can undertstand the funny looks.

The excellent live mussels sold on the IOM (apart from Tescos - I have no idea where they get mussels) come from Scotland via Manchester on a Thursday. The issue is how they have been transported and kept alive.

Nearly all of the fish and seafood sold locally comes via Manchester and London (AFAIK). Apart from queenies, scallops, crabs (???) and lobsters. Even the Irish oysters go via England AFAIK.

AFAIK - none of the local fish shops sell Manx collected mussels. And very little locally landed fish is sold here.

Shoprite, at least they try to sell local produce. I went to that Tesco place once a few years ago*, and I'm sure its wonderfull for all the comeover types who like to think there still in England (and they might as well be the way Douglas is) but tbh if all you can only afford tesco value xxxxx you should either work more hours, stop havin kids, or stay out of the pub.

* I never bought anything

Archived