Sam Barks Names 'caly Manx' Carrier In Shanghai

isleofman.com News

Yes, but 'we' didn't send her, the ship owner did and I gather that this has been very fruitful. (Probably would have been anyway, but this is about PR in the best sense, already have most parties on your side and this gathers even more. What would be the downside if we didn't step up to the plate?)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gather her father went as chaperone.

With the best will in the world, why is this being knocked to hell? Minimal cost to the IOM, but huge publicicty (in the right circles) and a tremendous amount of loyalty by the shipowner to the IOM. Why is everyone knocking it? What is wrong with it?

With the best will in the world, why is this being knocked to hell? Minimal cost to the IOM, but huge publicicty (in the right circles) and a tremendous amount of loyalty by the shipowner to the IOM. Why is everyone knocking it? What is wrong with it?

Absolutely nothing.

It puts bread on plenty of tables here, mine included.

One of those 'pervs' would make mince meat of you without breaking sweat.

If you would like me to introduce you, I could arrange it

Did I I touch a nerve? I know where to find them thanks.

I feel sorry for Sam. Would you like to have to go to the far east with those Gentlemen?

I bet they were knocking on her door all night long.

Didn't quite change the post fast enough !

Fail.

Absolutely nothing.

It puts bread on plenty of tables here, mine included.

I am not saying shipping doesn't employ a fair number of people, the industry has done for quite some time now - but one extra ship on the register doesn't necessarily mean that many more jobs, is what I mean. It might bring money in, but few shipping companies are advertising for more staff anywhere near what is being implied that will come from this.

I suppose my real anger is the perceived do-nothingness regarding the obvious collapse in the rest of the economy. All efforts are important, but we have far more people being chucked out of major industries here at oresent is my point.

Most people are refusing to see this, until it happens to them or they start to feel threatened it will it seems.

Anyone with a tad of conscious thought will (should) feel the threat at the moment. We are not immune, I only hope that the green shoots, as they are described, will filter through to the IOM now and not that we are on a lag so will suffer over the next year or so while other economies are recovering. It could be painful, which is why I question the derision and disdane that this initiative has received. As far as I can see, anecdotally of course, this is good news.

By 'seen around the world' do you mean travelling from port to port, where they will be docked miles from anywhere, in a secure dock, for a few days, while a PC connected to a crane unloads/loads it.

Then it sets sail for days/weeks on end, miles out to sea, miles from anywhere?

Better to name a cruise ship with a Manx name, at least 'real people' may get to see it.

Im sure more people would get to see a jar of Manx knobs than they would these ships. The only time they will make the news would be when Pirates board them, or they bump into a protected reef off some island one day, or spill their fuel tanks over 1000s of little seals and sea birds.

Maybe they will open a letter with a manx stamp on it in Afghanistan some day soon, we could send a handful of our representatives out there to witness the event

Archived