The Lord Street Old Bus Station Site Saga Continues

bishbashbosh

8 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Most people park there for an hour and walk into town. There are plenty of car parks in town, they just don’t want to pay for them.

No they don’t.

Most people park there and pop into the Sea Terminal for a coffee, a sandwich, a wee, a poo or a chat with friends.

There are loads of places nearer town where you can park on a disc zone.

43 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

There is no parking down there about fifty percent of the time.  How on earth can you say there is plenty of parking???

How often do you visit, and at what times?

Maybe he works a nightshift. In 1950. Seems he is an expert, even though he lives in the south. 

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

3. Cobble together some bus stops for setting down and  picking-up at the Sea Terminal. Reconfigure or remove staff parking, re-route and re-time the buses so the activity and congestion level is manageable. Use all the existing amenities, Costa, toilets etc. and leave the existing stops on Lord Street, Loch Promenade for people who don't want to walk the Sea Terminal.

If there are any other (sensible) options I'm genuinely curious to read them.

I'd prefer to carry on as we are than introduce delays by rerouting to through the Sea Terminal for no reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Don't live on a bus route anymore.

You don’t live anywhere where you could drive to somewhere that you could leave your car for free and get a bus right into the city centre?

Don’t believe you.

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Don't live on a bus route anymore.

You don’t live anywhere where you could drive to somewhere that you could leave your car for free and get a bus right into the city centre?

Don’t believe you.

33 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Don’t believe you.

Thanks for correcting my knowledge of where I live. If I'm going to drive somewhere I might as well drive into Douglas and park in the free carpark.

Will be cheaper than getting the bus.

7 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Thanks for correcting my knowledge of where I live. If I'm going to drive somewhere I might as well drive into Douglas and park in the free carpark.

Will be cheaper than getting the bus.

Not if your car gets boshed.

Just pay for a bus or pay to park the car.  Neither are expensive and it saves you being a tightwad freeloader

2 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Not if your car gets boshed.

Just pay for a bus or pay to park the car.  Neither are expensive and it saves you being a tightwad freeloader

Oh dear, have I touched a raw nerve?

My car could get bashed in a pay car park too, the only difference would be I would have paid for the privilege.

Thanks for your (illogical) advice, but I'll park in the free carpark if it's all the same with you.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Roger Ram said:

Have you done a pedestrian management plan recently?

No way on earth would that ever be passed or allowed by H&S

Why? Crossings already in place. More so than Lord Street. 
It would be safer. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Roger Ram said:

There is no parking down there about fifty percent of the time.  How on earth can you say there is plenty of parking???

How often do you visit, and at what times?

Why do you need all this parking for people who are on the bus? You make no sense.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Why do you need all this parking for people who are on the bus? You make no sense.

The parking isn’t for people on the bus.  The car park is full most days.  If you take it away you create a parking issue because people are lazy.

8 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

The parking isn’t for people on the bus.  The car park is full most days.  If you take it away you create a parking issue because people are lazy.

To be fair its not actually permitted for people to park there. It's not a disc zone. The sign says parking only for those with business at the terminal.

However, your point is valid, because people do park there and a blind eye is turned to it. There are a lot of spaces. They could be driven out but it would be hard to police whether someone was using the parking legitimately or not. 

Liel o keep saying though, if it was a bus station, 3 times a day it would be chaos because of the number of cars dropping off and picking up. It just would not work. It would be carnage. Buses and big vehicles.

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

To be fair its not actually permitted for people to park there. It's not a disc zone. The sign says parking only for those with business at the terminal.

However, your point is valid, because people do park there and a blind eye is turned to it. There are a lot of spaces. They could be driven out but it would be hard to police whether someone was using the parking legitimately or not. 

Liel o keep saying though, if it was a bus station, 3 times a day it would be chaos because of the number of cars dropping off and picking up. It just would not work. It would be carnage. Buses and big vehicles.

Eh?

It is a disc zone for people using the sea terminal, and there are hundreds of them every day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger Ram said:

Eh?

It is a disc zone for people using the sea terminal, and there are hundreds of them every day.

Correct. But Monday to Friday, most spaces  are taken up by government employees with free parking permits.