The Lord Street Old Bus Station Site Saga Continues

bishbashbosh

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Exactly.  I mean where else could you get a single ciggy and single match for 10pence then wander over to the bogs and if you fancied stick your knob through the many peep holes and see what bites. Nostalgic. 

You seem to have known it very well!

1 minute ago, newaccount said:

Fuck an undercover walkway, that's ridiculous.

If people don't want to walk to the sea terminal from town, they can just get the bus from the lord street bus stops or elsewhere in the city centre as they do now. 

Sea terminal should be stops in addition to lord st. It's completely ridiculous that the buses don't stop there.

The problem is government is so focused on the grandiose schemes (how long as Lord Street site been vacant?) and don't even try to make incremental improvements for the travelling public.

For example, why not take the section of the site behind Barbary Coast and build a single story waiting room with facilities.

Likewise, at the STB, move the taxis and pickup drop off to the Vic Pier side entrance where coaches park, let the coaches park at the front and let the buses pass through. So front is buses and coaches only.

With covered walkways and local shuttle mini-buses doing local hotels to supplemment other main routes (Peel/Ramsey etc.) looped via there.

Hell, you could even take the damned horse trams right to the front of the building so you don't have to cross a busy road to get to it and have the Welcome Centre and cafe/shops while you wait.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newaccount said:

Sea terminal should be stops in addition to lord st. It's completely ridiculous that the buses don't stop there.

The possibility is actually mentioned in the letter as well:

image.thumb.png.85fd78955200a36638243e1cc87eb2d9.png

But if you think about it , the way the current bus routes are, it would only be used by the buses going South and some of those are only going to the current bus station.  Most people may still find it quicker to take the 3-4 minute walk there.  So you may just end up diverting the bus to pick up hardly anyone.

There was a thread on Manx Nostalgia on Facebook. Somebody posted a picture of the old bus station. There were no buses and no passengers. There were two people who seemed to be engaged in a drug purchase. The comments were full of people reminiscing about buying single cigarettes from the kiosk and the lonely hearts messages and the holes in the wall of the gents' cubicles. It was a simpler, more innocent time. 

To be honest I'd rather have regular buses and a joined up timetable so I don't have to wait too long between buses. Than having to wait somewhere, no matter how opulent. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Declan said:

There was a thread on Manx Nostalgia on Facebook. Somebody posted a picture of the old bus station. There were no buses and no passengers. There were two people who seemed to be engaged in a drug purchase. The comments were full of people reminiscing about buying single cigarettes from the kiosk and the lonely hearts messages and the holes in the wall of the gents' cubicles. It was a simpler, more innocent time. 

To be honest I'd rather have regular buses and a joined up timetable so I don't have to wait too long between buses. Than having to wait somewhere, no matter how opulent. 

The DOI could at least make the shelters bigger at the old bus station. It's not as if there's not room for bigger ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

The DOI could at least make the shelters bigger at the old bus station. It's not as if there's not room for bigger ones.

Do they need to be bigger?

Don’t people just wait in the Albert until their special clock says the bus should have gone five minutes ago?

Edited by CrazyDave

27 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I can see why you call yourself CrazyDave!

Whys that then?

The clock In there runs fast and has done for as long as I can remember to help people not miss their bus.

Nothing crazy about it, just a fact of Manx life.

50 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Whys that then?

The clock In there runs fast and has done for as long as I can remember to help people not miss their bus.

Nothing crazy about it, just a fact of Manx life.

So young mothers with children sit in the Albert do they?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So young mothers with children sit in the Albert do they?

It was a light hearted post, but I have never seen there not be space for a mum and a kid in the shelters.  If there wasn’t I am sure someone would make space.

Also, a radical theory, but you don’t have to wait in the exact shelter with the number of the bus you are waiting for on it.

I am proper crazy like, but sometimes if the Peel one is full I might wait in the Ramsey one until the Peel bus comes, or even the one for down south!! Its blows peoples minds, but I haven’t been killed yet.

Douglas is now a city. Doesn't it deserve a proper bus station, with an indoor waiting area, and public toilets?

It could even house a shop, for snacks, newspapers (if they ever arrive on the Island), and knick-knacks. Build a car park on top of it, and it might even pay something towards its upkeep.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I am proper crazy like, but sometimes if the Peel one is full I might wait in the Ramsey one until the Peel bus comes, or even the one for down south!! Its blows peoples minds, but I haven’t been killed yet

Playing the odds?   Give it time…

• Haha 2