The Lord Street Old Bus Station Site Saga Continues

bishbashbosh

In the lead up to Xmas there was a sort of competition to NOT hear Geo Michaels 'Last Xmas' !

Shall we do something similar to see how many 'confused emojis' we can get from Dave in say, the next week? I'm going for 20 plus!!!

Sorry Dave.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Have they rescued sorry paid for the remaining steel that was kept in the wharehouse of a contractor owed a tidy sum ? The mouthpiece behind it Gareth ??? (Possibly his name but I am pleased to have forgotten) is an untrustworthy gobshite- I seriously doubt it will be finished by the current developer 

Second or third hand info but I believe everyone is paid and the same contractor, with different staff/representatives will be completing the project.

Those I know who are working there seem very confident it will be completed, I doubt they would have turned down other work and committed to it if they weren’t.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Second or third hand info but I believe everyone is paid and the same contractor, with different staff/representatives will be completing the project.

Those I know who are working there seem very confident it will be completed, I doubt they would have turned down other work and committed to it if they weren’t.

So you don’t know for definite then ?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

If I am standing on Prospect Hill waiting for a bus that goes up Prospect Hill, I will not walk down to Lord Street to catch it - I will wait for it to come to where I am.

The discussion about a bus station is not addressing the problem - which is simply to provide somewhere to catch a bus - i.e. a bus stop.

The discussion about indoor seating areas, refreshments, wi-fi, foot massages and so on are just irrelevant. The comments about "Douglas is a city that must have a bus station because other cites have a bus station" are in the same realm as runways sticking out into the sea and £80 million landing stages and pink concrete and "it's a statement we have to make".

The way you people are going the bus station will require an art installation to put on the world map of bus stations. When it comes to art installations I would recommend Doris's Crack.

images.png.95d38c6ca523235468d5d9e36bb858ba.png

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

If I am standing on Prospect Hill waiting for a bus that goes up Prospect Hill, I will not walk down to Lord Street to catch it - I will wait for it to come to where I am.

The discussion about a bus station is not addressing the problem - which is simply to provide somewhere to catch a bus - i.e. a bus stop.

The discussion about indoor seating areas, refreshments, wi-fi, foot massages and so on are just irrelevant. The comments about "Douglas is a city that must have a bus station because other cites have a bus station" are in the same realm as runways sticking out into the sea and £80 million landing stages and pink concrete and "it's a statement we have to make".

The way you people are going the bus station will require an art installation to put on the world map of bus stations. When it comes to art installations I would recommend Doris's Crack.

images.png.95d38c6ca523235468d5d9e36bb858ba.png

To be fair, the provision of a waiting area for public transport namely buses is poor, but adequate. The area is unsightly, and small adjustments could be made to satisfy the bus users, and make use of the area, without spending £mmms. Perhaps the Corpy could put up some toilets, and recoup the cost from the user, to spend 50p? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

No the whole point about a bus station is that it isn't (just) a bus stop.  It's where buses wait before starting on their journey - often for some time.  Even those who start their route somewhere else will spend some time there to enable buses running late/early  to get back on timetable.  For example the buses going South from Onchan etc have an 8 minute layover timetabled to help with that.

What all this means is that a bus station needs a lot more space than a normal bus stop does, simply because there will be more buses there for longer.  Because passengers and staff will also be there longer, it also makes sense to provide the facilities there for them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I just wish they'd stop putting the sloping benches in the shelters, from personal experience they're terrible to sleep on, almost as if they're designed to dissuade tramps or something...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

No the whole point about a bus station is that it isn't (just) a bus stop.  It's where buses wait before starting on their journey - often for some time.  Even those who start their route somewhere else will spend some time there to enable buses running late/early  to get back on timetable.  For example the buses going South from Onchan etc have an 8 minute layover timetabled to help with that.

What all this means is that a bus station needs a lot more space than a normal bus stop does, simply because there will be more buses there for longer.  Because passengers and staff will also be there longer, it also makes sense to provide the facilities there for them.

The purpose of a bus station is not to provide a point at which the timetable is adhered to.

In fact, any timetable should have number of key points along the route at which they are timetabled stops 

Whereas right now, the only accurate time on any bus timetable is the point of origin 

Edited by newaccount

The Lord st station provides off street parking, next there is the town hall stop, there will be people who cannot hobble their way to the Lord st stop, after that, there is off road stop at the Prospect, then the ON road stop by Morrisons and then Rosemount again an off road stop. All other stops are on road to St Ninians.

While I would not begrudge the town hall people their pick up point, could the majority not have got to Lord st??

However, I do try to give way to busses om this rout???

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

No the whole point about a bus station is that it isn't (just) a bus stop.  It's where buses wait before starting on their journey - often for some time. 

The requirement for a place for people to catch a bus is separate for the need for the bus company to find somewhere to park their buses. It offends my sense of style for the buses simply to be left by the side of a main road. There are other options.

The main thrust of the argument here is for facilities for passengers. As has already been pointed out, there is a cafe on the other side of the road. There used to be one on the same side of the road - I assume it is no longer there because bus passengers were not interested in using it.

A significant point, apart from the needless (and inevitably excessive) cost of a structure, is that it will impact the possibility of that site being used for a 7-screen cinema/rooftop swimming pool/therapy studio/edifice.

Whilst I do feel that the old bus station was hastily removed, the waiting room had been utilised as some sort of kids club rather than being thought of as an essential facility for passengers.

I can remember the first time I ever travelled to London on my own and the airport coach left from the taxi rank side of the bus terminal. I arrived on a freezing winter Sunday afternoon to find the place closed! It used to be that you could check in for your flight there apparently.

At one time parcels could be sent on the bus so there was a parcels office. I'm not altogether certain how viable the newsagents shop was but other than that, the toilets were probably the most useful thing in the building, despite @Gizo's experiences there. 

Whatever happens down there, it needs urgent development as it, along with several other bombsites in Douglas, is a disgrace!

11 hours ago, newaccount said:

The purpose of a bus station is not to provide a point at which the timetable is adhered to.

In fact, any timetable should have number of key points along the route at which they are timetabled stops 

Whereas right now, the only accurate time on any bus timetable is the point of origin 

There are a number of stops along any bus route where drivers will stop for some minutes if they are running ahead of timetable (because a bus that is running 3 minutes ahead will be missed while one that runs 3 minutes behind is just a minor annoyance).  So bus timetables on the Island are usually fairly accurate unless they break down completely for lack of drivers.   But what the bus station does is give a chance for a bus that is running late, on or between services, to get back on timetable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1