The Lord Street Old Bus Station Site Saga Continues

bishbashbosh

10 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

I would suggest the other way round. There is ample room at the side where the coaches currently await passengers. Use that for buses and the front for taxi drop offs etc

You and the rest of your DoI mates can pay for parking like most other people do... Next

DOI mates?  I literally just cross posted on another thread about how pathetic it is that they have closed the mountain you whopper.

12 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

I would suggest the other way round. There is ample room at the side where the coaches currently await passengers. Use that for buses and the front for taxi drop offs etc

Oh yes let's put the bus station as far away by foot as we can from anywhere anyone actually wants to go. And turning etc would be a nightmare down there, and add 5-10 minutes to the timetable.

Lord Street is the right place. There's an argument for better waiting facilities sure, but moving it to the Sea Terminal just so the DOI have everything in one place seems a step backwards and a potential boondoggle.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

It’s not big enough, and there is already a shortage of car parking down there most days.

Won’t work.

Next

Take over the bottleneck and make it disc parking and remove the junction to the side of the STB so pedestrians from the building dont have to cross at a roundabout exit. That free's up the front of STB for buses and allows the horse trams (if they ever happen) to go right to the STB which woulkd beat getting off the trams by the Victoria Street Kiosk.

On 1/7/2024 at 1:02 PM, Roger Mexico said:

But the point of a bus station is that the buses aren't on a main road.  Because it's somewhere those buses will be for longer than at a usual stop, either because they start there or for timing reasons or because it's where more people will choose to board.  So the space will be at the side of or just off a main road.  That's why the idea of moving it to Victoria Street as daft, if it's on a main road it would cause a perpetual traffic jam.

Whether elaborate facilities are needed is another matter.  The old terminal only had a hot drinks machine (then an object of wonder and modernity) and there are alternatives in the area.  What is certain is that the current facilities are dreadful and deteriorating.  Some of the shelters flood when it rains and the DoI insisting on those sloping seats to stop imaginary tramps sleeping on them is a classic example of blindly following the UK in everything whether relevant of not.  As usual no money is ever spent on maintenance because some magic new option is promised.

As for "the possibility of that site being used for a 7-screen cinema/rooftop swimming pool/therapy studio/edifice", how's that going again?  It must surely be due to shoot up some year, decade, century soon

I don't care what it looks like or what's in it.... as long as it's got skirting boards! Expensive skirting boards if you please.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I don't care what it looks like or what's in it.... as long as it's got skirting boards! Expensive skirting boards if you please.

What happened to the skirting boards?  Stored at MNH for future display in an 'Our Covid Journey' exhibition? 

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What happened to the skirting boards?  Stored at MNH for future display in an 'Our Covid Journey' exhibition? 

If rumour is to be believed, at least one local politician laid claim to some of the materials from this project after it had served its purpose. As to what the deal was, that'll be shrouded in commercial confidentiality.

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

As I’ve already said, you’re not the sharpest knife in the block 😂😂😂

That’s not really an answer though.

Whats the hilarious joke you are eluding to?  I am very excited to hear it and have been for a wee in advance so there are no accidents 

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

As I’ve already said, you’re not the sharpest knife in the block 😂😂😂

Oh, I think that Dave is sharp enough to take the piss out of these forums!!

Whether that is the way to 'make friends and influence people' ..............

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Is the real reason for this the fact that people aren't paying to use the Govt run car parks? 

NEVER!!

There's no way anyone in our government could possibly be that petty.

• Haha 2