The Lord Street Old Bus Station Site Saga Continues

bishbashbosh

It would be morally wrong for the DoI to stop parking on this site while development is awaited.

OK, it doesn't have planning but closing it off would be a fit of pique and jealousy by the DoI.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It would be morally wrong for the DoI to stop parking on this site while development is awaited.

OK, it doesn't have planning but closing it off would be a fit of pique and jealousy by the DoI.

Revenue from their sites is everything at present, we can't be giving the serfs free parking.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Revenue from their sites is everything at present, we can't be giving the serfs free parking.

Yes but its got no permsission to operate as a car park, DOI should just take it back if building not started in line with agreement which is soon i think. They can then run as a car park with ticket machine as before and proper lines marked out rather than the chaos at present.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Yes but its got no permsission to operate as a car park, DOI should just take it back if building not started in line with agreement which is soon i think. They can then run as a car park with ticket machine as before and proper lines marked out rather than the chaos at present.

Yeah but it's not 'operating' as a car park.  It's not advertised as a carpark, people aren't paying, it's not supervised.  It's just a big piece of wasteland that people have decided to park upon.  They however haven't been stopped by the landowner.

The reason for Govt getting shitty about it, is because they are loosing their own carparking revenue, plain and simple. 

I know some people that work above Barbary Coast and they do indeed advise it's a complete circus down there.

I wonder if anyone will give it a go camping there during TT?  Or even just longterm vanlife?  

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

DOI should just take it back if building not started in line with agreement which is soon i think

The time limit expired last year. If the DoI takes possession they will have to do something with it - like find a developer.

I assume they are desperately trying not to upset the not-so-current developer, so that something/anything gets built sometime/anytime.

But still - seven cinemas,,,,, ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The time limit expired last year. If the DoI takes possession they will have to do something with it - like find a developer.

I assume they are desperately trying not to upset the not-so-current developer, so that something/anything gets built sometime/anytime.

But still - seven cinemas,,,,, ?

I doubt it will happen, better off doing a JV with a big developer, apartments & multi storey car park, split profit on apartments and have income for car parking.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Walked past this site today and the number of vehicles in there seems to be more every day, how some get out is a mystery!!!

I also noticed 4 large camper vans parked up, at least 2 with UK plates and with sleeping bags out looks like people living there.!

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Walked past this site today and the number of vehicles in there seems to be more every day, how some get out is a mystery!!!

I also noticed 4 large camper vans parked up, at least 2 with UK plates and with sleeping bags out looks like people living there.!

Yes I spotted these on Monday. What an eyesore. It's just a dumping ground now and getting steadily worse. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Banker said:

I walked through it last week. It's the best car park on the island. No wasted space anywhere, it's great, long may it continue.

You've got to be some miserable kind of twat to object to some people getting something for nothing in the current economic climate. I've never parked in it as I pay for a parking space elsewhere. I wish anyone who does the best of luck and hope they get away with parking there for free for as long as possible.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I walked through it last week. It's the best car park on the island. No wasted space anywhere, it's great, long may it continue.

You've got to be some miserable kind of twat to object to some people getting something for nothing in the current economic climate. I've never parked in it as I pay for a parking space elsewhere. I wish anyone who does the best of luck and hope they get away with parking there for free for as long as possible.

You’ve taken over from crazy Dave, offshore Manx etc as the biggest pain, strange how you’ve always in a minority of 1 with your comments. Suppose the clues in your name 😂

OK Here’s a Facebook type question. 

I am going away for the weekend in a couple of weeks on the boat as a foot passenger but need to drive into Douglas  ( obvs) from Ramsey to park the car near the Sea Terminal.

Have done this previously but have been unable to park my car in the pay and display car park next to the Sea Terminal due to no space being available and fortunately found a rare space in the Bottleneck car park to park for a couple of days.

With this free for all in the land at the back of the Barbary Coast has this freed up pay for parking spaces in the car park to the right of the Sea terminal?

Thanks everyone 😃

12 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

...it's a car park, I've never seen a good looking one yet. 

14 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

...It's the best car park on the island...

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2024 at 4:28 PM, Banker said:

Ah, the politics of envy.

• Confused 1