The Lord Street Old Bus Station Site Saga Continues

bishbashbosh

Put it back as a bus station, the town is desperate for one.

Agreed, this should be the commuters central point for Douglas. Bus info desk, toilets, shelters, a shop and coffee/teas, covered cycling shed, automated bus ticket sales.

That'd only account for about 1/4 of the site, so the rest could be residential/holiday aparment type things, which would be very valuable overlooking the quay and actually make the public purse some dosh.

Vulgarians point's a good one too, the sea terminal would seem perfect, particularly if you got rid of the carpark out front.

Or maybe something useful like a youth centre, rather than more bloody apartments that we don't need.

We definitely need a proper bus station, with proper facilities, and maybe some kind of public transport subsidy to redress the balance so it is no longer cheaper to take a car to work, along with paying for parking, tax and all other fees.

Or maybe something useful like a youth centre, rather than more bloody apartments that we don't need.

There's a shortage of youth centres? You struggled to get in the existing one in Kensington Road? I wouldn't waste a prime spot of real estate on a youth centre, far better to make some serious cash on it then spend those funds on youth facilities if required.

We definitely need a proper bus station, with proper facilities, and maybe some kind of public transport subsidy to redress the balance so it is no longer cheaper to take a car to work, along with paying for parking, tax and all other fees.

Agreed.

The amount of youths complaining of nothing to do and getting pissed suggests there is a drastic lack of youth facilities on the island. Maybe offering activities and the like to older kids 16-18.

Why would you not want to have the facilities in a more convenient location? Having it in central Douglas next to the bus station would mean it would be much easier for it to be used by "youths" from the whole island.

As for the Government making money from the site, well that's just never going to happen, it would mean the Government doing something proactive with a derelict site rather than hoping a local business will do it, make all the money and leave the tax payer with the bill to maintain and run the site.

The amount of youths complaining of nothing to do and getting pissed suggests there is a drastic lack of youth facilities on the island. Maybe offering activities and the like to older kids 16-18.

Probably a separate discussion, but can you be more specific? This kind of thing gets said a fair bit, but I find I'm more short of time than things to do, and the number of activities and small distances in between them on the island makes it better than most places.

What are we actually missing?

Why would you not want to have the facilities in a more convenient location? Having it in central Douglas next to the bus station would mean it would be much easier for it to be used by "youths" from the whole island.

Sure, but likewise, nobody lives round there either, a youth centre works better on peoples doorsteps I'd have thought.

As for the Government making money from the site, well that's just never going to happen, it would mean the Government doing something proactive with a derelict site rather than hoping a local business will do it, make all the money and leave the tax payer with the bill to maintain and run the site.

Granted, but we were blue skying :)

I agree there is plenty to do, but you have to be willing to actually go out and find it.

I'm not trying to argue here just stating that the general opinion of the younger members of my family (15 nieces and nephews between 6 and 19) and their friends is that there is "nothing to do". A larger project with a lot of publicity and having activities nightly would go a step to shutting them up.

I agree that community based youth centres are probably a better solution for younger children, however I would say that for older children/teens that having a modern main attraction where all there friends are that treats them like adults would be more attractive than a converted kids club. I admit I am mearly speculating at this point though as I spent my late teens in the pub from 16 onwards so never had need of a youth centre. Although my time being treated as an adult in an adult environment, taught me to be a sensible drinker and to know my limits, although that's a point for another discussion at the minute I think.

Probably a separate discussion, but can you be more specific? This kind of thing gets said a fair bit, but I find I'm more short of time than things to do, and the number of activities and small distances in between them on the island makes it better than most places.
I can only assume then that it is the social activities available on the Isle of Man specifically that appeal. I tend to think of the place as boring, but as you give mention of not having enough time, what social activities do you get up to that kids could do?

Any future developments should incorporate felt in the construction where possible.

Unfortunately felt buildings are very rare in the Isle of Man.

Can't we get some of those wonderful public transport boxes like in the film Brazil? We can cover them with felt on the inside for comfort and to marvel at the various colours, if that makes you happy BlueMonday? They can take people to the buses at the new station at the quarterbridge.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

Nine: It's hard to be specific though isn't it? What is there elsewhere that we don't have here?

I can only assume then that it is the social activities available on the Isle of Man specifically that appeal. I tend to think of the place as boring, but as you give mention of not having enough time, what social activities do you get up to that kids could do?

My kids social life revolves around music and sport and the associated spin offs from those things. They're in a band, so they go to practices and socials quite regularly for that, they do a bit of cycling, badminton, gym, stuff like that. We struggle a bit because these things overlap, so the band might get upset if they've got a badminton game on, etc. I fit that around my own sports stuff, gaming, 'normal' social stuff like eating out and concerts and an underlying internet addiction and I find I don't understand people saying they're bored.

Yep, you've got to make an effort, and I'm not that naturally outgoing so its certainly a challenge for me, but nobody's going to hand you entertainment on a plate. Things that can seem impenetrable are actually very welcoming once you've made an effort to get stuck in.

Anyway, back to the topic, I'm not sure what could be put on this site that'd meet the 'not enough to do' bleat. I'd like to see a velodrome though if anyones taking suggestions :)

I'm not sure what could be put on this site that'd meet the 'not enough to do' bleat. I'd like to see a velodrome though if anyones taking suggestions :)

Now that would be ideal for the Summerland site. Keep bikes out of the town centre.

I find I don't understand people saying they're bored.

I'm of much the same opinion, but what I really don't understand is why when people say they're bored there's always a call for something to be done, as if the state is one big creche with an obligation to entertain and amuse its populace. Part of being a kid, especially if you're not a sports billy, is spending a fair amount of time being bored and learning how to entertain yourself and make your own amusements. I'd wager that you could go to any town or city of any size, with all manner of entertainments and you'll still find a fair proportion of the adolescent population complaining that they're bored and that there's nothing for them - it's not so much the community that's at fault, as it is the fact that a fair number of people, especially kids and teenagers expect to be entertained on a near constant basis.

Anyway, back to the topic, I'm not sure what could be put on this site that'd meet the 'not enough to do' bleat.

I think it should be something that inspires people to make the most of their time, rather than cater or pander to their various appetites and tastes. One possibility would be to use the land as the site of a gigantic bronze statue of a broken man sitting at a desk, casting a glassy eyed stare at a computer screen filled with meaningless figures as the sands of time trickle into the bottom bulb of an egg timer next to it and a man in the background constructs a coffin. A plaque at the bottom of the monument will read "Fickle drones, welcome to your future!"