The Lord Street Old Bus Station Site Saga Continues

bishbashbosh

1 hour ago, daisy said:

We 'managed' because there was nothing else .... we had no choice.  The bus 'shelters' are often full at commute time.  Believe me its not pleasant standing out on a wet/windy December night waiting.  Then sitting in wet clothes for the hour and 15 minutes it takes to get home!

What nonsense. What if you get the bus from a stop along the way? Do you want bus stations every 200m?

You are living in a dream world

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

It is rammed on weekends. Including sundays.Keep up. You are out of touch. 

I go there nearly every weekend. Car park is always half empty. Even when the boat is coming in. 

5 hours ago, Nellie said:

I agree. We've managed without one for c25 years. Why, when we have no money, has this suddenly become such a huge issue?

And yes, I am an occasional bus user, and I have waited in those shelters on Lord Street. If I need a piss, or something to eat, I just deal with that before I go to catch the bus. 

Out of interest where  do you go for your piss?

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Out of interest where  do you go for your piss?

AFAIK, the nearest free toilets are in the Sea Terminal! 🤣

As others have said, this location has the obvious potential to solve the perceived problem. It doesn't need to be redesigned as a 'bus station', at huge cost, just figure out a way to route the majority of bus routes through the front and pick-up and set down. Stick up a few signs, paint 'Bus Stop' on the road, and job done.

Hardly any routes start at the old site in Lord Street. so it doesn't need a big parking area. They mostly arrive from the Prom, the Quay, or down Victoria Street so they only need to stop long enough to pick-up and set down. 

That said, I don't think St Joney wants people to have to walk to the Sea Terminal. But this would give them a choice. If a shop, warm place and bogs are your priority, walk there. If not, wait at a 'on street' stop, such as Loch Promenade, Victoria Street, Prospect Hill etc. 

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What nonsense. What if you get the bus from a stop along the way? Do you want bus stations every 200m?

You are living in a dream world

Most stops along the way only have a handful of people waiting at each, so they can all fit in a shelter. The bus station often has hundreds. Of course we need a bus station. More to the point tynwald agreed on this in 2023 so the lack of action is astonishing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Venus said:

Most stops along the way only have a handful of people waiting at each, so they can all fit in a shelter. The bus station often has hundreds. Of course we need a bus station.

All we need is a bigger bus shelter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It is rammed on weekends. Including sundays.Keep up. You are out of touch. 

Parking is not really monitored/regulated over the weekend so it's used as free parking. That's why it's rammed.

48 minutes ago, Venus said:

Most stops along the way only have a handful of people waiting at each, so they can all fit in a shelter. The bus station often has hundreds. Of course we need a bus station. More to the point tynwald agreed on this in 2023 so the lack of action is astonishing.

now action from tynwald still astonishes you ??

Maybe DOI could resurrect their plans of a few years ago to cover Victoria St over as a bus hub/Station? 🤭

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Maybe DOI could resurrect their plans of a few years ago to cover Victoria St over as a bus hub/Station? 🤭

i'd rather they resurrected keeping the roads in  a good condition and the hedges trimmed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Parking is not really monitored/regulated over the weekend so it's used as free parking. That's why it's rammed.

According to @Cambon its only ever half full . Even when the ferry comes in. I wonder when he last went down there

I couldn't get a space last Sunday and that was at 1pm

4 hours ago, Venus said:

To be honest. There are a million things that need money spending on before we should even be considering a new bus station. Like health, housing ,roads, schools etc

• Like 2