The Lord Street Old Bus Station Site Saga Continues

bishbashbosh

46 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

According to @Cambon its only ever half full . Even when the ferry comes in. I wonder when he last went down there

I couldn't get a space last Sunday and that was at 1pm

Free parking's a bugger these days isn't it? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

To be honest. There are a million things that need money spending on before we should even be considering a new bus station. Like health, housing ,roads, schools etc

Agreed

As for the below, I was also there last Sunday afternoon about 14:30 shortly before the Manannan was due to depart. Car park was half empty. I got a space right by the door. 

55 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

According to @Cambon its only ever half full . Even when the ferry comes in. I wonder when he last went down there

53 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

To be honest. There are a million things that need money spending on before we should even be considering a new bus station. Like health, housing ,roads, schools etc

Agreed

As for the below, I was also there last Sunday afternoon about 14:30 shortly before the Manannan was due to depart. Car park was half empty. I got a space right by the door. 

55 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

57 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Agreed

Room for 6 double decker buses then?

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Health and education have £60m this year. Roads have nearly £8m. Taking your argument to its logical conclusion would mean we spend money on nothing else but your chosen four. Silly argument. Lucky for us you're not in charge of the budget.

36 minutes ago, Venus said:

Health and education have £60m this year. Roads have nearly £8m. Taking your argument to its logical conclusion would mean we spend money on nothing else but your chosen four. Silly argument. Lucky for us you're not in charge of the budget.

Can you not read?

Do you understand like and etc

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

The front car park is well used, but the one down the side is usually only ever half full at most.

The biggest bus hub in the biggest town on the island should have a proper bus station. Instead we have a load of rusting bus shelters, half of which are missing glass from the windows. Welcome to the Isle of Man!

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Agreed

Presumably because in the pervious couple of hours the car park was full of people who were dropping foot passengers off to catch the Manannan and who had only just departed after they had boarded.  If you turned the Sea Terminal into a bus station you'd have to find somewhere else for these people to park.

If the majority of people who are getting on or off a bus are coming from or going to the the north part of Duke Street, the best place for a bus stop to serve these customers is Victoria Street.

There is even an expensive coffee shop where they can sit and wait and drink cafe mocha latte with an umbrella in it.

Or Douglas Promenade.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably because in the pervious couple of hours the car park was full of people who were dropping foot passengers off to catch the Manannan and who had only just departed after they had boarded.  If you turned the Sea Terminal into a bus station you'd have to find somewhere else for these people to park.

Why? The people are on the bus! The front crescent was designed to be a bus / coach  drop off point. At the moment, it is basically only used by taxis. At lLord St. there are rarely more than three buses at any one time. How more obvious does something need to be? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Using the Sea Terminal as a bus station is an incredibly stupid idea.  I can’t believe anyone is suggesting it is practical or sensible.

Is that not what it was built as?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, finlo said:

Is that not what it was built as?

No it was built, unsurprisingly, as a sea terminal.  There may once have been bus stops outside, but the main bus station was always in Lord Street and I think the old Bus Station there was built before the current Sea Terminal.

1 hour ago, Roger Ram said:

Using the Sea Terminal as a bus station is an incredibly stupid idea.  I can’t believe anyone is suggesting it is practical or sensible.

Thanks Tim but the general population of this Island is well and truly pissed off with the persistent spunking of money on vanity projects. Making the sea terminal the new bus station will cost the neck end of fuck all. 

8 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Thanks Tim but the general population of this Island is well and truly pissed off with the persistent spunking of money on vanity projects. Making the sea terminal the new bus station will cost the neck end of fuck all. 

Isn’t one of the bus station proposals part of a private development?