Pigs On The Wing & Planes Over Paris

Johnny B Goode

Still a few tickets left for ... PIGS ON THE WING

Reuniting for their first gig since TT 2006, Pigs on the Wing, the legendary Manx Pink Floyd tribute ensemble that first played on the Isle of Man in 1997, is playing in the Royal Hall at the Villa Marina, Douglas on Saturday October 10th, 2009. (Doors open 19.00 show 20.00).

The gig is a “benefit” for TT sidecar racers Nicky Crowe and Mark Cox who were injured in an incident at Ballacob on Wednesday 12th June.

Pigs on the Wing are Pete Williamson (vocals, guitars), James Craig (guitars), Roger Leece (drums/percussion), Dick Raine (bass), Brian Foley (saxophone). Ian “Catty” Corlett (keyboards) will be returning from London to play at the benefit, which will also feature Shaz Cleator on vocals. Andy James will be managing the event, Iain Rive is also returning to the Island to run the sound for the gig and Justin McMullin of ELS will be providing the lighting.

Support will be provided by local atmospheric “indie” band Planes Over Paris – featuring the talents of Paul Salisbury (guitar and vocals), Ben O'Hare (drums), Steph Gomaa (keyboards and vocals) and Martyn Cain (bass). Planes are also supporting the Kaiser Chiefs at the Villa in August.

Thanks to generous support from Earystone Quarry, Outdoor Power & Plant, MANN Construction, Tels Skips and Shaun and Sally Craig, a significant part of the venue hire for the event has been paid. All the musicians, the crew, lighting company, the promoter and graphic designer are giving their time free of charge to make this an entirely not for profit event and are hopeful that a significant sum will be raised. This will allow the vast majority of the funds raised from ticket sales to go to Nicky and Mark and their families.

Tickets are £10 each on sale from the Welcome Centre at the Sea Terminal, Villa Box Office or online at www.villagaiety.com.

post-6183-1254902121_thumb.jpg

Top gig - Planes were good too, but Pigs were wonderful (first time I've seen them).

Shame about the poor (hard/live?) acoustics in the Villa - I'm guessing the sound bounces around a lot - makes it all a bit of a mash, despite the best efforts of the sound guy.

Top gig - Planes were good too, but Pigs were wonderful (first time I've seen them).

Shame about the poor (hard/live?) acoustics in the Villa - I'm guessing the sound bounces around a lot - makes it all a bit of a mash, despite the best efforts of the sound guy.

Great gig but the sound strangely enough, was a little loud for me???

I'd have liked to see the female singer silhouetted more behind the strobe lighting and less of the extremely bright white lights, but nice setup and enjoyed it thoroughly

Great gig but the sound strangely enough, was a little loud for me???

I'd have liked to see the female singer silhouetted more behind the strobe lighting and less of the extremely bright white lights, but nice setup and enjoyed it thoroughly

T'was awesome!

It's easy to be hyper critical, but lets face it £10 and all local amateurs.

Unbelievable!

Did Planes sort out their sound issues from supporting the Kaiser Chiefs?

I'm afraid we have very little control on the house sound, that falls to the front of house sound people.

Anyone who attends live shows at the VM on a regular basis, or has played on the stage will know that the Royal Hall is a very difficult room to get an all round good sound in. More often than not where you sit/stand determines the quality of sound you'll hear. In all honesty I think Anglin did good job all evening.

Massive credit should also go to Justin and the ELS company, the light show was amazing.

Archived