Ex-boyzone Star Found Dead

manxman8180

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Mail on Sunday - Suzanne Moore's column

Whatever killed Stephen, it wasn’t being gay

Let's get just one thing clear: the cause of Stephen Gately’s death was not gayness.

He was a young man. I don’t know if he had sex or alcohol on the night he died.

Many young men do drink and have sex, though, don’t they? Or is that just a gay thing?

I asked on Twitter (obviously) what ‘sudden adult death syndrome’ was, as I didn’t know. I am not sure I do now.

But what has been so offensive to many are the insinuations that his death is connected to the death of comedian Matt Lucas’s ex. How is it?

Or that these tragedies are somehow the result of civil partnerships – as though ‘straight’ marriages are non-stop heaven.

The outrage over the way Gately has been written about – like the furore after X Factor judge Dannii Minogue’s outing of contestant Danyl Johnson – shows we live in an age where being gay just does not bother many people.

Those who pruriently pick over the circumstances of Gately’s death will find that no doctor signed a certificate with cause of death ‘homosexuality’.

A man was kicked to death in Central London recently by two teenage girls because he was gay.

So while many of us could not care less, homophobia is alive and kicking. It is repulsive to see it repeatedly kicking the corpse of a popular young guy.

His funeral was televised?

Na, the service had an audio feed.

I'm not a fan of boyzone, but Gately did show some grit coming out when he did. When your career is based on making young girls scream it's a pretty brave move admitting that your gay.

His funeral was televised?

Na, the service had an audio feed.

I'm not a fan of boyzone, but Gately did show some grit coming out when he did. When your career is based on making young girls scream it's a pretty brave move admitting that your gay.

Not really brave, when you consider that by the time he came out they had sold more than enough records to set them up for life in royalties and back sales.

And if you add in the fact he was part of a group not a solo artist, the others could make up for him gay in the screaming teenage girl department.

The Grauniad's lead in:

It must have seemed a routine assignment for one of the Daily Mail's star columnists: a catty take on the death of Boyzone star Stephen Gately which pandered to the prejudices of its readers.

Stephen Fry's description of Moir and her employer:

"I gather a repulsive nobody writing in a paper no one of any decency would be seen dead with has written something loathsome and inhumane."

10 / 10

Unfortunately opinion and comment has more or less replaced journalism but at the same time the people who are "outraged" will still buy the paper to see what else is being said.

I have to admit, that I do get a weird sense of enjoyment out of being 'riled' by some of the shit in the Daily Mail and Daily Express when I go back home to read my parents papers. It is all so sensationalised. I read it for what it is, but sometimes the Independent can be SO boring.

Unfortunately opinion and comment has more or less replaced journalism but at the same time the people who are "outraged" will still buy the paper to see what else is being said.
Erm...journalism for the current media system is very mcuh about opinion. They choose what to publish and how to comment on it.

I do agree with Declan about people complaining to Number 10. I do find it just as irritating as the stupid woman who wrote the article. Clearly a lot of people are so servile in their mindset that they feel they need to call upon those who have power to get others silenced It is pathetic, but when people live their lives treated as children they will behave like it.

Any connection between the Daily wail and journalism is tenuous at best.

It's a prompt sheet for the anally retentive bigot with the intellectual capacity of an empty matchbox.

I must say the backlash is going a bit far. Certainly, disagee with Moir, express your opposition to her article, complain to the paper, but petition No 10 for her sacking? So as liberals we think that it'd be a good thing that the government were able sack newspaper columnists if enough people disagree with them?

The Mail obviously doesn't like people disagreeing - it has left the 'article' on its website, but is refusing to accept any further comments on it. (Not providing a link, it isn't worth reading). The fact that on the same webpage (dunno if the same is true for the printed version cos I don't read it) this woman also says Autumn is good and some Z list celebrity wearing a dress is bad perhaps puts into perspective the importance of her opinion on anything. I'm surprised the Mail is in support of Autumn TBH, what with all those brown leave coming out of their trees and settling on God's Own British Soil.

On the same page on that site,

using the internet to search for information slows the progress of dementia in older patients.

Seems to be a mistake, ought to read

using the Daily Mail increases the progress of narrow minded bigotry in patients whatever their age.

Archived