Pram + Train

Mr. Sausages

This has been on the news all day, pretty scary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/victoriaderbysh...being_run.shtml

A six month old baby's had a miraculous escape after his pram was dragged thirty metres along a train track in Australia. His mother could only watch as the buggy rolled off the platform just as the train came into the station. In the end though the baby only got a cut to the forehead.

Some people with prams seem to lose what sense they may have ever had.

There is also the UK video of a

being pushed across a railway crossing as a train leaves the adjacent station. Couldn't she wait just a minute?

I have seen many mothers push their prams onto a road so that they can themselves stand on the pavement edge to see what traffic is coming. Doh. :o

Oh, and that clip in the first message - why was the station platform built with a slope down to the rail lines? Alright, the mother should have been a bit more savvy, but....(see above!)

I saw that video on the BBC News web site the other day. Very lucky baby, and very lucky for the mother that she wasn't dragged under the train as well trying to reach the pram. To be fair to her, the platform did look flat.

Just a thought...

Wouldn't it be a good idea to fit a reverse brake on prams...

I.E. When a grip lever on the push bar is gripped the wheels can move freely, and when not gripped the brakes are applied to the wheels.

I'm thinking like a dead man switch/grip on power tools like chainsaws. This would prevent the pram rolling away if the parent needs both hands for something.

Certainly would have prevented the situation above.

Just a thought...

Wouldn't it be a good idea to fit a reverse brake on prams...

I.E. When a grip lever on the push bar is gripped the wheels can move freely, and when not gripped the brakes are applied to the wheels.

I'm thinking like a dead man switch/grip on power tools like chainsaws. This would prevent the pram rolling away if the parent needs both hands for something.

Certainly would have prevented the situation above.

For once I have to agree with you, several supermarket trolleys have these luggage trolleys at rail station have them so what is so difficult about fitting them as standard to baby prams.

Archived