The Manx Film Industry

Moghrey Mie

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did the IOM actually make a profit? or was it all about mixing with the stars. some accounts would be nice, after all tis public money sending the MHK's to the film jollies.

They presented the accounts for Isle of Man Film Limited to Tynwald on Tuesday for 2006 2007 2008 and 2009 but there's another outfit called Cinemanx and i don't really understand how they fit together.

Did the IOM actually make a profit? or was it all about mixing with the stars. some accounts would be nice, after all tis public money sending the MHK's to the film jollies.

To answer 2 questions

There were no grants, government money was used to invest in films made here and a condition of the investment was that a certain amount of that money was spent locally. I don't know how much but my estimate was that it was pretty close to the amount invested.

The IOM would then recive a percentage of any money made by the movie

The real deal was that the film had to be registered as a Manx company and under the old Common Purse arrangement we could then claim back 17.5% VAT on the whole cost of production, so our actual investment was very little.

As to revenue, my man on the inside recons about 200mil over ten years, which sounds sweet until you realise that it was probably this more than anything which pissed of the UK exchequer and started the ball rolling for the catastrophic clawback we now face.

The IOM Film Commission was a brilliant idea which raised a lot of revenue. If the UK government had done the same thing at, for instance, the American's expense they would be running round patting themselves on the back

Unfortunatley the bastards have taken offence to our resourcefullness and stabbed us in the back.

Just rememebr that next time one of the Royals pitches up and you give your kids little Union Jacks to wave

Just rememebr that next time one of the Royals pitches up and you give your kids little Union Jacks to wave

I'd be skating to work first, before I'd ever do that.

That said, the problem is not the royals - but Labour, though the Tories would never just give the money back now the decision has been made for them.

Nice piece here about Richard Linklater's (Slackers, Dazed & Confused, A Scanner Darkly) new film Me And Orson Wells [Zac Efron, Claire Danes] which was filmed in Douglas last year and which opens in a few weeks.

Half the shoot—about three weeks—was done in this beautiful old theatre we found in Douglas [the elegantly restored Gaiety Theatre, an almost exact replica of the Mercury Theatre]. We couldn’t have shot it in New York. If you go on West 41st Street now, those buildings are long gone.

To answer 2 questions

There were no grants, government money was used to invest in films made here and a condition of the investment was that a certain amount of that money was spent locally. I don't know how much but my estimate was that it was pretty close to the amount invested.

The IOM would then recive a percentage of any money made by the movie

The real deal was that the film had to be registered as a Manx company and under the old Common Purse arrangement we could then claim back 17.5% VAT on the whole cost of production, so our actual investment was very little.

As to revenue, my man on the inside recons about 200mil over ten years, which sounds sweet until you realise that it was probably this more than anything which pissed of the UK exchequer and started the ball rolling for the catastrophic clawback we now face.

The IOM Film Commission was a brilliant idea which raised a lot of revenue. If the UK government had done the same thing at, for instance, the American's expense they would be running round patting themselves on the back

Unfortunatley the bastards have taken offence to our resourcefullness and stabbed us in the back.

So down to brass tacks, did we make any money or was it a nett loss to the Island, i hear lots of we may and we will, time to account for the money spent and its value to the Island.

Bear in mind, for 200mil we could have had two monorails.

It's impossible to quantify. I used to work in a shop that was regularly used by visiting film crew, spending a fair bit of cash. We did not put their purchase info into a separate 'film industry' box though. We won't have been the only ones either.

There is a company on island at present who are just about to start filming. I spoke to a chap an hour ago!

From Ex-Isle website - so something is going on (and is it starring Fleetwood Mac?):

Latest News

................................................................................

October 2009A "Casting" is being held on Sunday at the DTI Offices Hillsmeadow Training Centre (by IOMan Newspapers) Peel Rd Douglas, for the forthcoming production "Albatross" due to be filmed beginning of November through to December

We are asking all film extras who are with ex-isle casting agency to attend along with any family & friends who maybe interested in taking part.

There are many parts & in particular we are looking for young men aged between 17-22 undertakers, college types, general passerby's also a lady in her 70's(Nana in the Royle Family type) with some acting experience.

We are also looking for a girl aged between 17-22 Height 5ft 6" Dress size 8-10 shoe size 5 who can swim & drive.

For more information re time on Sunday please access the website Fri on www.ex-isle.com or contact Bev Lawley on 415096/835100

Archived