Shop Local And Buy Manx - Beat The Vat Black Hole!

nickyw

Just a thought about local

If govt subsidises steam packet supermarkets could bring in food cheaper - possibly knock on effect is that we get cheaper food. That sounds great to me as according to the front of the newspaper ive got 3k per year to make up.

cheap meat, cheap bread, and cheap milk, plus buy one get one free etc etc.

sod local i need cheap food.

John - I think that is a very short-sighted view! We don't need cheap food, we need to be able to feed ourselves. We need to pay our farmers what it costs to produce good quality, safe food, and keep them in business. We must not become over reliant on imported food. This will become much clearer over the next twenty years as demographic trends and/or global warming make food scarcer worldwide. Maybe one day the export of foodstuffs will be the biggest business in the Island! In the meantime, we should all be grateful for the Manx businesses that do contribute so much to our economy, even if it means paying a small Manx premium. Don't be fooled into thinking Tesco are interested in doing anybody but themselves any favours.

and your view is very optimistic, there is not the available land here or in the UK to feed the inhabitants of either island. as you may be aware laxey flour mills had to import stuff cos the manx grain harvest got shafted with the weather, and that's just flour!! even if we all embraced 'the good life' ( old tv show ) we wouldn't have the produce. i think i read somewhere recently that the UK imports around 35%?? of its food. nice idea to be self sufficient, but we won't be doing it with food, fuel, or anything else.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If govt subsidises steam packet supermarkets could bring in food cheaper - possibly knock on effect is that we get cheaper food. That sounds great to me as according to the front of the newspaper ive got 3k per year to make up.

John - I think that is a very short-sighted view! We don't need cheap food, we need to be able to feed ourselves. We need to pay our farmers what it costs to produce good quality, safe food, and keep them in business. We must not become over reliant on imported food. This will become much clearer over the next twenty years as demographic trends and/or global warming make food scarcer worldwide. Maybe one day the export of foodstuffs will be the biggest business in the Island! In the meantime, we should all be grateful for the Manx businesses that do contribute so much to our economy, even if it means paying a small Manx premium. Don't be fooled into thinking Tesco are interested in doing anybody but themselves any favours.

Agree, and animal welfare, environmental impact of food miles, quality and taste are the most important criteria for me. I'd cut down on absolutely everything else before I'd compromise and eat a cheap battery chicken!

Agree, and animal welfare, environmental impact of food miles, quality and taste are the most important criteria for me. I'd cut down on absolutely everything else before I'd compromise and eat a cheap battery chicken!

Not too keen on the idea of battery reared chicken, but you should try those Iceland chicken legs from shoprite - only £1 and very tender.

I know tesco are only interested in themselves, and funnily enough im only interested in myself as well. Cheap food = less money spent on shopping therefore more money to spend on holidays and non esentials etc

Tesco and the CoOp both sell corn fed free range chicken. More or less impossible to get local free range chicken. I would buy it if it existed.

I can see that it would probably not be economic to produce it locally on any sort of viable scale.

Then I assume no local contractors submitted an expression of interest.

If local firms don't express interest then how do the Government know who wants a chance to tender?

They contact all 'registered' contactors?

The government needs to do more than sit there, lazily awaiting people to request an audience. Some proactive practices may be useful from now on?

And then there's this! Click

Archived