Census - Why Do They Need To Know?

Lonan3

CLICK

Householders will be required for the first time to give the sex and date of birth of any visitor staying that night.

This will also be the first census with a question about same-sex civil partnerships. The question about a person's marital status has expanded from four possibilities – married, separated, divorced, or widowed – to eight. Householders will also be asked to state how many bedrooms are in their home, information that could affect the size of council tax bills, and whether its central heating is gas, electric, oil or solid fuel. Another new question is about second homes. Anyone who stays at a different address for more than 30 days a years will be required to specify the address. For MPs, that information is now public knowledge; others might wonder why the state needs to know.

The basic questions on previous census forms were, for the most part, demographic fact-gathering but there does appear to be an element of intrusiveness in the plans for this one. The problem then becomes, how reliable will the information be that is gathered? Will people tend to lie more than on previous ones? And, of course, how many will be capable of coping with a 32-page form when many freak out at the sight of a short one?

CLICK

Householders will be required for the first time to give the sex and date of birth of any visitor staying that night.

This will also be the first census with a question about same-sex civil partnerships. The question about a person's marital status has expanded from four possibilities – married, separated, divorced, or widowed – to eight. Householders will also be asked to state how many bedrooms are in their home, information that could affect the size of council tax bills, and whether its central heating is gas, electric, oil or solid fuel. Another new question is about second homes. Anyone who stays at a different address for more than 30 days a years will be required to specify the address. For MPs, that information is now public knowledge; others might wonder why the state needs to know.

The basic questions on previous census forms were, for the most part, demographic fact-gathering but there does appear to be an element of intrusiveness in the plans for this one. The problem then becomes, how reliable will the information be that is gathered? Will people tend to lie more than on previous ones? And, of course, how many will be capable of coping with a 32-page form when many freak out at the sight of a short one?

I remember the last census having the poor woman who cam to the door in total confusion due to the fact that being on the North sea rigs I spent more time living out there than home therefore she could only put a longitude and latitude as my main address as I refused to allow my onshore adrees as my main one, then olong came the question of my main method of transport used daily to work, there was no section for helecopter, poor woman went away in total distress saying she would have to forward this to her supervisor, I heard nothing more since.

If everyone just puts 'Dave Scroggins, 01/01/01'...they won't ask again.

This is not what a census is about. Big Brother is getting too involved again.

"Meanwhile the marital status question will carry eight options including single, married, divorced, separated, gay wife, lesbian husband, 'DIY pleasure monkey' or shacked-up with a tall, muscular African gentleman.

The census, to be carried out on March 28, will also ask how many people stayed in your house the previous night, what sort of noises they made and whether you plan to see any of them again."

More quality from the Daily Mash with Census to be very dirty...

If everyone just puts 'Dave Scroggins, 01/01/01'...they won't ask again.

This is not what a census is about. Big Brother is getting too involved again.

Somewhat disappointing that you replied with such a brief reference to Orwell.

Bedroom 1: Tony Blair was resting after buggering the family's pet cat.

Bedroom 2: Alistair Darling was screaming that he'd got his knob stuck in his abacus.

Bedroom 3: David Cameron was involved in a Voodoo sacrificial ceremony involving Boris Johnson and an unnamed Roman Catholic cardinal.

Living Room: Elton John was resting on a camp bed.

Kitchen: Gordon Ramsay was stirring the pot and smoking it.

Utility Room: Nick Griffin was being a tool.

Archived