Census - Why Do They Need To Know?

Lonan3

No I believe that future historians will learn more about our lives via a thorough census. The more information they have, the better placed they will be to learn the lessons of our times.

For starters...hopefully that Dave Scroggins was a very popular name in our times.

Householders will be required for the first time to give the sex and date of birth of any visitor staying that night.

If everyone just puts 'Dave Scroggins, 01/01/01'...they won't ask again.

This is not what a census is about. Big Brother is getting too involved again.

Totally agree with that AT. Big brother asking questions they have no right to yet again. I shall not be answering anything except names and ages and they will have to chase me for that.

I am familiar with all the past census details so far released to us from 1841 to 1911 at 10 year intervals.

The census forms have required the details of all persons staying at an address on census night. It has been a most valuable sourse of information about my ancestors and how they lived.

For example in 1901 my grandfather lived with his Dad and Mum and 7 other siblings in 3 rooms whilst another family of 7 shared just 2 rooms in the same house in Bermondsey, south London.

I learnt their relationship to the head of the family and ages, married or not, occupation and where they where born.

It is not a lot of infomation to write down but your children's children will be so upset if you do not appear in their searchs for you in 100 years time. It takes a lot of time looking up census details and long lists of birth, marriages and deaths to complete a picture of the family.

I think you have duty to the future

I am familiar with all the past census details so far released to us from 1841 to 1911 at 10 year intervals.

The census forms have required the details of all persons staying at an address on census night. It has been a most valuable sourse of information about my ancestors and how they lived.

For example in 1901 my grandfather lived with his Dad and Mum and 7 other siblings in 3 rooms whilst another family of 7 shared just 2 rooms in the same house in Bermondsey, south London.

I learnt their relationship to the head of the family and ages, married or not, occupation and where they where born.

It is not a lot of infomation to write down but your children's children will be so upset if you do not appear in their searchs for you in 100 years time. It takes a lot of time looking up census details and long lists of birth, marriages and deaths to complete a picture of the family.

It could also be how they find out that their great-great-grandad was actually shagging the woman at number 45.

If people really think they are accurately tracing their family past a hundred years or so, especially covering the days before family planning products, they are kidding only themselves on its accuracy IMO.

Nicely put HJ.

I know that without the available census info. my search for family would have been much harder. Thanks to these , I have been able to trace back to 1817 in Lambeth, and given leads to around 1760 , in Whitechapel.

My grandchildren are now aware of 8 generations of their family.

This alone, imo, makes the census a worthwhile exercise.

Visitors have always been included, so don't go round for a shag that night. Don't book into a hotel or guest house that night either they have forms to complete too.

Census officials are not interested in individuals but when all the details are added up for a town, region or country then forecasts can be made for future services

They are not concerned if Albert is having his shag with his bird at No 45, but want her included in the count. They would not know if she is from No 45.

Unless her husband is the census enumurator!!

They are not concerned if Albert is having his shag with his bird at No 45, but want her included in the count. They would not know if she is from No 45.

Unless her husband is the census enumurator!!

Gulp!

I think many of us think the idea is of course admirable, but, on their current record of ID cards, collecting data, hidden motives etc. etc. many simply don't trust the government in handling, safe-keeping, or just using the data for the purpose the census was originally designed. They have lost their credibility.

Another thing of interest from 1901. This last box the enumerator had to indicate whether the person was:

1 Deaf and Dumb

2 Blind

3 Lunatic

4 Imbecile or feeble minded

I found out my great grandmother was deaf.

On the 1911 forms you can see your ancestors handwriting.

Thanks to these , I have been able to trace back to 1817 in Lambeth, and given leads to around 1760 , in Whitechapel.

My grandchildren are now aware of 8 generations of their family.

This alone, imo, makes the census a worthwhile exercise.

Weren't there some murders in Whitechapel around those times?

I on the other hand, suspect that by 2099 Big Brother will be discriminating against my grandchildren, on the grounds that their grandad had high intelligence, and that they must be exterminated in 2099 under the laws of what by then will be XFactorchavland (formally the UK). Intelligence will be a crime in XFactorchavland. Plus, that in 2099 there will be no possible proof that I was knocking off Mrs Smith at number 45.

If people really think they are accurately tracing their family past a hundred years or so, especially covering the days before family planning products, they are kidding only themselves on its accuracy IMO.

In 2109 people will probably be better able to trace back the last 100/150 years due to better record keeping. Sod the census though; with all the archived info from Google earth, GPS recorders, FaceBeboSpace, emails, electronic bank statements, computerised health records and DNA - and of course the parking ticket records - you'll be able to tell what great great granpa's fart smelled like after his 2009 vindaloo in 2109. And the census will advise who was offended by the smell.

I on the other hand, suspect that by 2099 Big Brother will be discriminating against my grandchildren, on the grounds that their grandad had high intelligence,

Make sure they preserve these forums to prove that he didn't.

I on the other hand, suspect that by 2099 Big Brother will be discriminating against my grandchildren, on the grounds that their grandad had high intelligence,

Make sure they preserve these forums to prove that he didn't.

By 2099, things will have got so bad in XFactorchavland (formerly the UK) that by then even you'll look intelligent, and possibly even funny. I suggest you delete your post if you want to save your future family.

Archived