Jimmy Carr's Jokes

La_Dolce_Vita

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's political correctness gone mad.

That is what the sort of people who normally get upset about language and humour being edited so as to not cause offence normally say at any opportunity.

Crap joke is a different matter but he should not have to apologise for being offensive.

Of course it is offensive, I always thought the man is a total fucking knob now he has proved it. You shouldn't need to ask if it is offensive of course it is to all disabled people, how would you feel if he had made an as offensive joke about homosexuals LDV? I can bet you would have soon been on here yelling how homophobic he is, just because these are victims of a war you do not agree with doesn't make it any less offensive.

I can't abide Jimmy Carr. But I thought the joke was funny. Servicemen, injured or not, would laugh at that kind of thing. They have a more realistic sense of humour. They have to have, or they wouldn't join, especially these days.

Political correctness gone mad again.

I can't abide Jimmy Carr. But I thought the joke was funny. Servicemen, injured or not, would laugh at that kind of thing. They have a more realistic sense of humour. They have to have, or they wouldn't join, especially these days.

Political correctness gone mad again.

I agree. He's an irritating moon faced w@nker but as Andy McNab said in the Times today - sadly the soldiers are frequently being snapped up by the organisers of the paralympics as they are physically extremely fit despite their horrific disabilities. The truth hurts sometimes?

For a joke to be offensive it needs to belittle someone or be cruel, it needs a "victim", if you like. But this joke implies that the injured squaddies are so dedicated and determined that will overcome their misfortunes to succeed at International level.

We can only really speak for ourselves our very close relatives/friends when we voice an opinion that his jokes are offensive. I think he's really funny personally although a lot of his jokes do touch on what were recently taboo subjects. If you don't like it, don't spend your life listening to him, your money visiting his show or buying his DVD's, and don't write to the newspapers who then publish his jokes - creating lots of new fans!!

Are you offended LDV? There is your answer I feel.

I don't know. I don't what injured servicemen have thought about this joke - not that it is ALL important. But I would be interesting to know what their thoughts are.

I don't agree one bit with the argument that making jokes are beyond the pale because such people deserve respect because of their job - because it isn't a job that deserves any special honouring (in that sense of respect). And that seems to be some of the media's argument from reading other articles - such one in the Belfast Post.

I do not mean this is a callous way, but these men put themselves in that position, they fought willingly, and I assume they have an acceptance of their situation as just the ways things are and happen. We aren't talking about oppressing those who were born disabled or suffer from malformities, etc. And I don't think it is being too analytical, but the joke was framed to oppress and marginalise. As Declan says, it does recognise their physical strengths.

I do think the media shouts of offensiveness are ridiculous and backed by nothing but patriotism.

I don't know. I don't what injured servicemen have thought about this joke - not that it is ALL important. But I would be interesting to know what their thoughts are.

Actually it is vitally important. Why do people feel they have to be morally outraged on behalf of someone else? I've read 3 or 4 articles in newspapers about this and not one of them has managed to drag up an injured serviceman to share their disgust with the nation.

If the people that the joke is about don't care, why do you?

Of course it is offensive, I always thought the man is a total fucking knob now he has proved it. You shouldn't need to ask if it is offensive of course it is to all disabled people, how would you feel if he had made an as offensive joke about homosexuals LDV? I can bet you would have soon been on here yelling how homophobic he is, just because these are victims of a war you do not agree with doesn't make it any less offensive.

You didn't let us down Jim, cheers.

Archived