Jimmy Carr's Jokes

La_Dolce_Vita

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. On the rare reports where they have actually got an injured serviceman to comment about the joke they have all said it is exactly the kind of humour that would be heard around the wards and the rehab centres.

The same troops would also have heard foul language, crudity, and seen and heard a whole lot more, but it is not what one would want to hear in public place.

The remark made was inappropriate for a public performance by a rather nasty so-called comedian.

Given the time, the place, and the circumstances of course it was offensive.

This is the first time I've heard / read the joke and I just did a 'LOL' I can't believe people are kicking off about this but there was nothing on the news about Tommy Tiernan at the Electric Picnic. That was offensive, but it did also prove his point about comedians being constantly taken out of context.

It's the first time I've read the joke too. Not a Jimmy Carr fan but I thought it was amusing enough. Even if you dwell on it a little too much and reflect on what it really means, I'd say it's gallows humour, poignant even.

I think if a joke makes you feel uncomfortable or hurt because it jars with a painful personal experience then well, that's too bad, but unless the intention was to wound you personally, be a grownup and let it go.

It seems more than coincidental with the emergence of our Health and Safety culture that no one is allowed to take risks, we can't allow anyone else to be 'hurt' in the course of just an exchange of views. It pisses me off. Soon every discussion you will hear will be forced to sound like an adjudication by the Broadcasting Complaints Commission.

What's worse, is all of this empathising with mostly imaginary people is the stuff of a mental illness.. Smoke less of that green stuff.

This is the first time I've heard / read the joke and I just did a 'LOL' I can't believe people are kicking off about this but there was nothing on the news about Tommy Tiernan at the Electric Picnic. That was offensive, but it did also prove his point about comedians being constantly taken out of context.

Tommy Tiernan is not funny though and has to result to shock tactics to get a response from the crowd as he knows he won't get any laughter from them. You hear worse down the pub with a group of fellas. The only thing I find offensive about him is how awful his act is. A seriously bad comedian.

Of course it is offensive, I always thought the man is a total fucking knob now he has proved it. You shouldn't need to ask if it is offensive of course it is to all disabled people, how would you feel if he had made an as offensive joke about homosexuals LDV? I can bet you would have soon been on here yelling how homophobic he is, just because these are victims of a war you do not agree with doesn't make it any less offensive.

You didn't let us down Jim, cheers.

I have to admit in hindsight I may be a bit bias due to the fact I detest the man, and I do see the point one person has made that the comment does show the dedication of a lot of disabled ex servicemen that they do not give up, but as for LDV's comment in saying that they put themselves in the situation where they suffered thus and actualy deserved what they got, well that's the kind of comment I would expect from an anarchist who doesn't have the bottle to fight for the rights of others. So in hind sight yes I have to agree LDV's comment is far more offensive to all ex and present day servicemen than any that buffoon Carr has made.

I have to admit in hindsight I may be a bit bias due to the fact I detest the man, and I do see the point one person has made that the comment does show the dedication of a lot of disabled ex servicemen that they do not give up, but as for LDV's comment in saying that they put themselves in the situation where they suffered thus and actualy deserved what they got, well that's the kind of comment I would expect from an anarchist who doesn't have the bottle to fight for the rights of others. So in hind sight yes I have to agree LDV's comment is far more offensive to all ex and present day servicemen than any that buffoon Carr has made.

Nice one, giz a hug big man!

I can't abide Jimmy Carr. But I thought the joke was funny. Servicemen, injured or not, would laugh at that kind of thing. They have a more realistic sense of humour. They have to have, or they wouldn't join, especially these days.

If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined...

It's a very robust environment and a Jimmy Carr "joke" won't change that. It made me smile anyway.

The planks are doing ATC at night. One steps on a mine - kaboom!

Plank One "I've lost my fucking leg!"

Plank Two "No you haven't. There it is over there..."

If the people that the joke is about don't care, why do you?
I only said it was not ALL important because sometimes people can be abused, insulted, or joked about but not offended because they don't understand the purpose of the insult or its effects, that's all.

Slim:

You didn't let us down Jim, cheers.
Joking about disabled servicemen and homophobia are not the same. It is a very bad analogy to make.

Jimbms have already made some factual assumption that it disabled people will of course be offended by this joke - is this the case? How does Jimbms know and why does he think that?

And he also said: "how would you feel if he had made an as offensive joke about homosexuals LDV? ". Well this is a stupid question. If it is an offensive joke, I imagine I would be offended. If it was a joke about homosexuals it could be acceptable, it might not. It DEPENDS ON THE JOKE, not on who it is about.

And the Straw man: "just because these are victims of a war you do not agree with doesn't make it any less offensive. " - well you're right. But I didn't imply that.

Jimbms

but as for LDV's comment in saying that they put themselves in the situation where they suffered thus and actualy deserved what they got, well that's the kind of comment I would expect from an anarchist who doesn't have the bottle to fight for the rights of others.
I'd imagine you are someone you gets all hot and bothered about many things you don't understand, it must be amusing to watch.

I never said they deserve to be joked about. I was establishing the difference between those who were born disabled or became disabled due to situations absolutely out of their control and those who willingly made choices as to what they will do. The latter group had limbs blown off because they joined the forces and went to Afghanistan. In such a way I imagine such servicemen have a very mature resignation to their situation.

I do think I make my points clear, why you always seem to get the wrong end of the stick I don't know.

I only said it was not ALL important because sometimes people can be abused, insulted, or joked about but not offended because they don't understand the purpose of the insult or its effects, that's all.

So you're saying servicemen are generally a bit thick?

Archived