Jimmy Carr's Jokes

La_Dolce_Vita

A chap from a Serviceman's Association was on Radio 5 the other day, saying that Jimmy Carr had first heard the joke from a soldier being treated at Sally Oak Hospital. So Carr repeated it thinking that it was acceptable, as soon as there was an outcry he apologised unreservedly, but then this Tory MP gets hold of it and makes a big deal out of it.

So we are left with one of the few Tory comics in existence under attack from his fellow Torys for not being PC. And these lot are going to be in power soon.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A chap from a Serviceman's Association was on Radio 5 the other day, saying that Jimmy Carr had first heard the joke from a soldier being treated at Sally Oak Hospital. So Carr repeated it thinking that it was acceptable, as soon as there was an outcry he apologised unreservedly, but then this Tory MP gets hold of it and makes a big deal out of it.

So we are left with one of the few Tory comics in existence under attack from his fellow Torys for not being PC. And these lot are going to be in power soon.

sounds about right

So you're saying servicemen are generally a bit thick?
I wasn't talking about servicemen in particular and it wasn't to do with their intelligence.

And these lot are going to be in power soon.
Worrying, I think. How impoverished British politics is when people vote for the Tories just because Labour are so bad.

Jimbms have already made some factual assumption that it disabled people will of course be offended by this joke - is this the case? How does Jimbms know and why does he think that?

Well being classed as disabled does allow me to have view on how a disabled person thinks also I would think being an ex serviceman who left after a good number of years with a decent rank, a very good trade/qualifications, a few decent bits of tin, and 3 or 4 holes in me does qualify me to speak on how a serviceman thinks, put both together I think answers your question, all I need to know now is where to send the white feather to you.

Ok so you speak from personal feelings because of your situation, you don't speak for everyone. Very crass to bring up the mention of a white feather, considering that those who did not want to volunteer in WW1 had good sense.

It is also very crass to fail to support our servicemen who if they didn't do the task freely would mean the likes of you would be conscripted or no doubt bottle out. And of course I don't speak for everyone just the same as when you rant on about about democracy and homosexuality it is only your view and like yourself I am entitled to express it freely in a way I see fit.

It is also very crass to fail to support our servicemen

In the 70s and early 80s it was Ireland or a factory or the dole for some young people who ended up joining the army. I feel equal pity for everyone who found themselves in that messed up situation which should never have been allowed to happen.

It could never have continued so long if Britain had had a conscript army along the Swiss model.

Fill in missing letters in the following sentence -

Jim is to disabled ex-servicemen what _ _ _ is to gay dole-ys

Declan you are falling into the LDV trap, the disability is slight and it has nothing to do with my military service just age, please don't assume like he does.

Jimbms - You seem to repeatedly miscontrue and twist everything that I say. I never said you shouldn't express what you think and feel about things, not at all. I asked you how you seem to be able to speak for all disabled people when you say that they would be offended by this joke. The fact that you are disabled gives you a specific insight and an important one.

Support our servicemen? None of this thread has anything to do with supporting our servicemen. I haven't said anything about the state not financially supporting them if injured,

And people do not do they task freely so the likes of me do not need to be conscripted.

Declan you are falling into the LDV trap, the disability is slight and it has nothing to do with my military service just age, please don't assume like he does.
I never made any assumptions.

It could never have continued so long if Britain had had a conscript army along the Swiss model.
It just isn't feasible for a country like Britain. It would lower standards and would causes institutional changes that would affect the ability to conduct campaigns or operations that Britain is usually good at. It would be an awful thing to have anyway considering what it would entail - people being forced by the government to do their dirty work.

Archived