Eddie Lowey's Comments

Moghrey Mie

Sorry, but it can't be accepted as a harmless throwaway comment. It is racist. Essentially, what is meant is that Middle Eastern people are a suspect group.

Of course Middle Eastern people are a suspect group - not once yet have I heard of a suicide bomber who is a ginger haired Manx man from Foxdale.

I don't see what is wrong with making the joke or that its racist - suicide bombers are in reality more likely to be of middle eastern descent. FACT.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone from the Middle East and who looks Middle Eastern are to be suspected of maybe being terrorists then? And that's simply because of Al Qaeda roots?

That would be equivalent to some Middle Eastern country having suspicions about white people in their ranks because (hypthethically) some Irish (IRA) have been involved in terrorism.

And second place goes to Geoff Corkish MHK in his tutu.

Geoff who?

Oh you know, he used to be on the radio all the time.

When he worked for the Steam Packet.

Yeah funny that isn't it. For years you could barely keep him off the radio and in the papers but since obtaining public office .... zip. Say's a lot about the current calibre of MHKs we have. Its all about having the power rather than having opinions, stimulating debate, or communicating with the electorate.

post-4192-1256981153_thumb.jpg

It's true that you hardly hear a peep from Geoff Corkish in Tynwald or the House of Keys.

He's still got it though. If he is ever at a charity do in a village hall or wherever he makes sure his presence is well heard. There's votes to be had in the old dears you know. They love him and his booming baritone (or whatever it is) voice.

Hopefully our elected politicians can now start to earn their super salaries.

Whether the comments Eddie Lowey made were racist or not, I have no idea and neither do I want to! Were they offensive, I don't think so.

We all seem to jump at the very thoought of any form of percieved racism at the moment, and by doing so fuel the fires of hatred. This ridiculous PC society needs sorting out once and for all! Even that paragon of good sense and unbiased criticism, Michael Moyle has got himself all of a dither with the OTT reaction to the sandal wearing gent. That should never have got to court, and if muslims are so sensitive as to the nature of these jokes perhaps they need to take active steps to expose and expel the extremists in their ranks!

If something is racist then it should be offensive to us if we have any interest in eliminating racial oppression in our society. If you don't understand whether something is racist or not then how would you be offended be it? You don't know what to be offended about.

The sandals thing has nothing to do with racism or being political correct. It just appears to be about bad judgement.

if muslims are so sensitive as to the nature of these jokes perhaps they need to take active steps to expose and expel the extremists in their ranks!
Expel them from what?
There isn't some exclusive Muslim club that they are part of. Besides, Eddie Lowey's comment was not made about Muslims per se, it was made about those who LOOKED like they were from the Middle East. It is a different thing when you talk about people's race than about their religion.

Muslims wear rags and towels on their head because of their religion not their race. Towel head or rag head is an observation, not racist. And who are the terrorists? Religiously-fanatical idiots that wear rags and towels on their heads - Q.E.D.

The word racist has got out of hand. People even say you are racist if you even take the piss out of someone in your own race - like the Scots. Scots is not a race.

Good on Eddie. Security has got out of hand and out of perspective with the real world and way out of synch with the probability of any real threat. The real idiots are those who voted to spend money we haven't got on an expensive fence we don't need at the behest of an airport directoress who is out of control, and gone well beyond her remit IMO using fear and confusion to convince Tynwald it needed to spend all of this money spent at the airport. Fact is it didn't.

Muslims wear rags and towels on their head because of their religion not their race. Towel head or rag head is an observation, not racist. And who are the terrorists? Religiously-fanatical idiots that wear rags and towels on their heads - Q.E.D.
My understanding was that the shemagh is worn to protect yourself from heat exposure, not because they are Muslims. In any case, the mention of towel head is in my understanding less racist than the comment about people who look Middle Eastern.

And the Al Qaeda men, who I assume we are referring to, may wear shemagh's where it is hot. But they aren't going to be walking round Britain with one, for example.

The terrorists who orchestrated the London bombings weren't wearing them, nor were those who did 9/11.

The word racist has got out of hand. .
I don' think it has, I think the problem is that a lot of people don't really know what racism is and are therefore senstive to anything that might possibly be racist. People on here are kicking off about the term 'towel-head', though it is not very clear as to why, yet no mention of the bit about Middle Eastern people.

My understanding was that the shemagh is worn to protect yourself from heat exposure, not because they are Muslims. In any case, the mention of towel head is in my understanding less racist than the comment about people who look Middle Eastern.

And the Al Qaeda men, who I assume we are referring to, may wear shemagh's where it is hot. But they aren't going to be walking round Britain with one, for example.

The terrorists who orchestrated the London bombings weren't wearing them, nor were those who did 9/11.

The word racist has got out of hand. .
I don' think it has, I think the problem is that a lot of people don't really know what racism is and are therefore senstive to anything that might possibly be racist. People on here are kicking off about the term 'towel-head', though it is not very clear as to why, yet no mention of the bit about Middle Eastern people.

So what was Eddie Lowey trying to say?

Archived