166mph Biker 'seduced By Speed'

kevster

Clicky

A biker has been jailed for nine months after being caught doing what is believed to be the fastest speed ever recorded on a Scottish road.

Neil Purves, 27, of Cockburnspath, was detected by police as he travelled at 166mph on a 60mph stretch of the A702 near West Linton in the Borders.

Seems some folks on another forum think it's OK to exceed the speed limit in such a foolhardy way.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"However, Sheriff John Horsburgh said there was no alternative to a jail term." What a ridiculous comment. Of course there's an alternative, I'm in no way suggesting that this bloke isn't a pratt and needs punishing, but 9 months in prison. You can seriously injure someone, mollest someone or steal and not get a prison term. It just beggars belief.

Driving anything at that speed on a public road is not just bad driving, it is driving in a manner that puts the general public at risk in a way that is of the same order as repeatedly firing a shotgun down a road.

It was only good fortune that no one was killed or seriously injured.

If it were me I would have sent him to jail for at least seven years and banned him from driving any road vehicle for life.

Personally I think the problem lies with consistantcy... he broke the law but the emphasis is on MAY HAVE or COULD HAVE.... the papers are littered with criminals who actually hurt people who get less... drink drivers who get banned and fines but no jail term... that's a joke.

It is a bit harsh considering the idiotic brainless tosspots who drive under the influence of drugs or drink only happen to get on average a 12 month ban and a fine. If anyone reading this happens to fall into that catagory then don't worry I shall not in anyway appologise or retract the comment.

It is a bit harsh considering the idiotic brainless tosspots who drive under the influence of drugs or drink only happen to get on average a 12 month ban and a fine. If anyone reading this happens to fall into that catagory then don't worry I shall not in anyway appologise or retract the comment.

Nor should you, at least not in my opinion, but the salient point is that whilst it's relatively harsh in my opinion it's not harsh in absolute terms.

I think your forgetting the damage this arsepipe WOULD have caused if he drove into another motorist.

I'm sorry but travelling at 106 mph over the speed limit should carry a 5 year sentence and a life time ban, if not more.

He wasn't just pushing his luck a bit, he blatantly and with total disregard for his and others safety took an almighty and unacceptable risk.

Not a maths wiz but whats the energy transferance of a bike travelling at 166mph hitting a car going the other way at 40mph?

Even if he didn't hit another motorist, if he messed up and stacked the bike, theres no way he would survive, what would happen to the heap of metal still hurtling along at 166 mph uncontrolled.

Ban him and anyone who thinks of copying him.

I know (that's know as in 'I know them personally', not 'heard about in pub' etc.) motorists on the Island who have crashed, written off cars etc, but it's ok because they were only doing about 30 </sarcasm>

Comparing a crash at 30mph to 166mph is like comparing getting hit by a tennis ball to being hit by a wrecking ball in full swing.

Crush the bike/car, lock them up and ban them for life.

Archived