166mph Biker 'seduced By Speed'

kevster

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MDO, I really can't understand why you're not standing for the Prime ministers job! You're just full of such great ideas and solutions. :thumbsup: You're just magic :sorcerer:

Just offering my ideas to get the idiots and dangerous motorists off the road. Its not just motorcyclists but all speedster cocks who should be harshly punished.

Lets face it he didn't pass the speed limit by a smidge. He smashed it beyond all recognition.

1st offence...vehicle crushed, ban for 10 years and 5 years inside.

2nd offence...Banned from owning, let alone driving, any form of motor vehicle and 10 years inside.

But hey this is the Isle of Speed. Lets just get rid of speed limits and watch the the death count soar.

1st offence...vehicle crushed, ban for 10 years and 5 years inside.

2nd offence...Banned from owning, let alone driving, any form of motor vehicle and 10 years inside.

Could you please make sure that only your tax money is used to fund thoses sentences? Maybe you can save some cash by cooking and looking after them yourself.

Fine & ban, yes. Prison sentence ? Definitely not. By all means, that far over the limit take the bike & sell it - proceeds to road safety funds or something, but sending someone to prison for this is pathetic, creates unnecessary costs and does not stand in relation to the offence.

Fine & ban, yes. Prison sentence ? Definitely not. By all means, that far over the limit take the bike & sell it - proceeds to road safety funds or something, but sending someone to prison for this is pathetic, creates unnecessary costs and does not stand in relation to the offence.

Correct. Execute the bastard.

What this arse did was similar to running around with a loaded gun with the safety off...

Its fun and games until the thing goes off and kills someone.

"sending someone to prison for this is pathetic, creates unnecessary costs and does not stand in relation to the offence"

Pathetic?!? He would without a shadow of doubt kill whoever he hit in the event of a collision.

I'm sure you'd be baying for blood if your family was killed by this kind of arsehole.

I honestly cannot see why some of you are defending the wally...

Clicky

A biker has been jailed for nine months after being caught doing what is believed to be the fastest speed ever recorded on a Scottish road.

Neil Purves, 27, of Cockburnspath, was detected by police as he travelled at 166mph on a 60mph stretch of the A702 near West Linton in the Borders.

Seems some folks on another forum think it's OK to exceed the speed limit in such a foolhardy way.

Quote "He had admitted a charge of dangerous driving in a previous appearance"

Can someone work out the stopping distances/reaction times for such a speed?

IMO, he was lucky this time, as there was no-one killed in the process, but it could have been much, much worse.

Had a bit of a dig around and the general concensus is that the total stopping distance at 166mph would be around 370ish meters (just shy of a 1/4 mile).

Some bright spark also worked out:

Average car travelling at 70mph 688,345 joules of energy transfer in a head on...

Bike travelling 166mph 654,00 joules head on...

Personally I think the problem lies with consistantcy... he broke the law but the emphasis is on MAY HAVE or COULD HAVE.... the papers are littered with criminals who actually hurt people who get less... drink drivers who get banned and fines but no jail term... that's a joke.

I agree with Floyd - we seem harder on 'potential damage' than actual damage.

Not defending the biker for a second - I've not studied the news reports - but the fact is he didn't actually do anyone any harm. There are plenty of places in the UK where that speed on a powerful motorbike isn't excessive - but it's clearly massively over the speed limit.

I agree with Floyd - we seem harder on 'potential damage' than actual damage.

Is this based on any kind of analysis, or are you just pulling the numbers out of the air?

The figures are compiled and available, and average custodial sentencing lengths for violent crime is more than double that of motoring offences. This case has hit the press because it's a record top speed, but I think it's misleading to use it as an example of regular sentencing.

The reason this plonker has been dealt with so harshly is because they are trying to send a message that this sort of reckless endangerment will not be tolerated.

If they were lenient with him they would be opening up the floodgates for other plonkers to go tear arseing around at stupid speeds and play russian roulette with other peoples lives.

They are drawing a line in the sand and anyone who steps over it gets the wrong end of the law.

Archived