The Most Serious Judicial Corruption Scandal In Us History

Amadeus

State's high court dismisses juvenile convictions

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court yesterday dismissed thousands of juvenile convictions issued by a judge charged in a corruption scandal, saying that none of the young offenders got a fair hearing.

The high court yesterday threw out more than five years' worth of juvenile cases heard by disgraced former Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella, who is charged with accepting millions of dollars in kickbacks to send youths to private detention centers.

The Philadelphia-based Juvenile Law Center, which represents some of the youths, said the court's order covers as many as 6,500 cases. The justices barred any possibility of retrial in all but a fraction of them.

Justice - funny word, that

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court yesterday dismissed thousands of juvenile convictions issued by a judge charged in a corruption scandal, saying that none of the young offenders got a fair hearing.

The high court yesterday threw out more than five years' worth of juvenile cases heard by disgraced former Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella, who is charged with accepting millions of dollars in kickbacks to send youths to private detention centers.

The Philadelphia-based Juvenile Law Center, which represents some of the youths, said the court's order covers as many as 6,500 cases. The justices barred any possibility of retrial in all but a fraction of them.

Unbelievable :o

Makes me wonder about privatisation and hope this never happens over here.....

(Can't believe I've said that and quietly tiptoes to a comfy chair to hear the responses) :rolleyes:

I thought this thread was going to be about what was behind the Czech. ‘opt out’ of The EU Constitution, sorry, the Lisbon Treaty.

I wonder what will come next, maybe the Armenian Genocide by Turkey didn’t happen.

PRIVATE detention centres? How messed up is that? People making money out of the process of denying people their freedom.

I fail to see the incarceration of criminals as a punishment in the same way as denying people their freedom, the latter implying it is a thing done in some arbitrary manner.

In any case does it matter if prisons are provided by the private sector?

If the costs to the tax payer are less then bring it on, especially if the environment the criminal scum are kept in are harsher than that provided by the public sector.

PRIVATE detention centres? How messed up is that? People making money out of the process of denying people their freedom.

I do hope someone goes out and 'gets' these Judges.

Oh dear LDV here you are advocating the use of Vigilantes, it's a downhill slope for you now son.

I fail to see the incarceration of criminals as a punishment in the same way as denying people their freedom, the latter implying it is a thing done in some arbitrary manner.
Not in some arbitrary manner, but the result is the same, it is the removal of people from society.

In any case does it matter if prisons are provided by the private sector?
I think it shows just how awful the values are in society when people can make money out of the situation of young people. Young people who are largely the people they are because of the society they have been brought in.

If the costs to the tax payer are less then bring it on, especially if the environment the criminal scum are kept in are harsher than that provided by the public sector.
I don't necessarily think that because someone brakes the law they are scum.

Jimbms -

Oh dear LDV here you are advocating the use of Vigilantes, it's a downhill slope for you now son.
This situation is rather unique. Here you have those with the people to very determine the course of someone's life. They stand in a position where they are supposed to follow the dictates and procedures surrounding criminal law. However, they choose to get richer by taking kickbacks. This completely eliminates even the possibility of there being any application of the law and essentially results in people having their lives stolen so these people can get richer. If the Judges can sit there and hand down sentences in a legal position and yet be found to have ignored the law in a system they profess to abide by and expect others to then carte blanche to those they have affected who wish for retribution.

Here is a huge and quite appalling miscarriage of justice involving the ruination of thousands of youngsters. Where is the self-righteous indignation from Chinahand and his cronies, beating their breasts in pompous, self-indulgent, fake rage?

Because sex wasn't involved, they're just not interested.

S

Someone in public office putting businesss someones way in return for money.

Phew it could only happen in America.....

Or does it?

Jobs for the boys, backhanders, planning permission etc etc....

Does anyone think it happens here?

Someone in public office putting businesss someones way in return for money.

Phew it could only happen in America.....

Or does it?

Jobs for the boys, backhanders, planning permission etc etc....

Does anyone think it happens here?

Actually it happens in every liberal democracy and probably all countries. Business has a big influence on government decisionmaking. But it doesn't have to be anything as direct as money backhanders, but there are many benefits that accrue from politicians doing what big business wants. That is the systemic corruption of the liberal/representative democracy. This example is something more obvious and specific. Here even the pretense of justice is eliminated by the involvement of business in controlling the fate of young people.

Not in some arbitrary manner, but the result is the same, it is the removal of people from society.

There are some people who by their actions and / pr personality defects should be removed from society.

This should be done in some cases as a punishment and in others as a punishment plus a conditioning to instill a Pavlovian fear of ever facing being punished again.

There some others who should be permanently removed not only from society but from the human race.

I think it shows just how awful the values are in society when people can make money out of the situation of young people. Young people who are largely the people they are because of the society they have been brought in.

Nonsense. Nobody is MADE to go into crime, it is a choice they make.

In any case, if the private sector can provide what is needed at a lower cost to the tax payer than the public sector then government should use what costs least.

I don't necessarily think that because someone brakes the law they are scum.

It’s a bit of a slightly gray area because there is the law of the land and the moral imperative to consider. For example if my family were starving then I would steal but it would still be stealing.

Equally if some piece of human excrement had swindled the Manx taxpayer out of thousands by exploiting his position within government to gain grants to which he was certainly not entitled, and exposing him saw me ending up in court or jail, then there again I would not consider myself to be scum by having blown his gaff.

On the other hand if someone breaks the law in the absence of a real moral imperative, then they most certainly are scum.

Such people may be conditioned into moving away from a scum lifestyle, but until they do they are what they do.

Jimbms -
This situation is rather unique. Here you have those with the people to very determine the course of someone's life. They stand in a position where they are supposed to follow the dictates and procedures surrounding criminal law. However, they choose to get richer by taking kickbacks. This completely eliminates even the possibility of there being any application of the law and essentially results in people having their lives stolen so these people can get richer. If the Judges can sit there and hand down sentences in a legal position and yet be found to have ignored the law in a system they profess to abide by and expect others to then carte blanche to those they have affected who wish for retribution.

So now explain why in another post you stated that a father whose daughter was repeatedly sexually abused and raped by one of these officials and was told this official would never be prosecuted, was wrong to kill the official when he felt he had no alternative way to protect his daughter and other young girls. As you just said "If the Judges can sit there and hand down sentences in a legal position and yet be found to have ignored the law in a system they profess to abide by and expect others to then carte blanche to those they have affected who wish for retribution."

I await your next contradiction with eager anticipation.

Where is the self-righteous indignation from Chinahand and his cronies, beating their breasts in pompous, self-indulgent, fake rage?

S

My goodness Sebrof what a low, trolling comment.

It is dispicable what the judge in question has done, he has corrupted the system as well as himself. It is totally right and proper he is punished, and should be punished severely. He has taken years away from the minors he has sentenced and deserves a sentence that reflects the lives he has ruined.

I doubt there is really much controversey here - the unethical behaviour is pretty obvious to all, as is the seriousness of the corruption and the obvious need for justice to be done.

Sebrof can try and generate an argument if he likes, but that is just him!

Here is a huge and quite appalling miscarriage of justice involving the ruination of thousands of youngsters. Where is the self-righteous indignation from Chinahand and his cronies, beating their breasts in pompous, self-indulgent, fake rage?

S

Christ you still can't get over your beating for your paedo comments can you? God it must really twist you up every day of your life if you have to kick back with pathetic little digs in other threads weeks and weeks afterwards.

Archived