Jobs For The Boys (in Blue)

Max Power

It seems that lately many of our recently retired police officers are needing further employment to supplement their meagre inflation proofed pensions!

They seem to drift into all kinds of positions which could legitimately be filled by genuine jobseekers including those looking for interesting career changes. A lot of these are within local government. The motorsport quango for example, seems awash with retired bobbies and civil servants supposedly helping with the organisation but in reallity bogging everything down to government levels of inefficiency!

Is it right that these people should be allowed to retire in their 40's and snap up plum jobs at the taxpayers expense? It causes knock on problems right down the employment scale leaving unemployed people at the bottom! I know of 2 people who were constructively dismissed to make way for ex bobbies, one was out of work for over a year due to the way his case was treated.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Policemen aren't real people. When they retire they should be sent back to the factory and their parts recycled, but instead they, y'know, do stuff that other people do. It's not right.

It wouldn't be so bad if they did, like retire at 60 or 65 for instance! Or don't expect to get minted in a government job while being paid top whack on your pension!

not just to do with the boys in blue, my uncle mentioned this to me a few month back, he's just retired.

ex teachers is the example he gave, 2 he mentioned, 1 a posty, 1 a MEA metre reader.

sitting on big pensions and taking jobs "for something to do"

not right in my opinion

not just to do with the boys in blue, my uncle mentioned this to me a few month back, he's just retired.

ex teachers is the example he gave, 2 he mentioned, 1 a posty, 1 a MEA metre reader.

sitting on big pensions and taking jobs "for something to do"

not right in my opinion

I think that the Police pay more than anyone else into their pensions so that they can retire early, but can't remember the figure (14% springs to mind. Anyone know for sure?)

It seems that lately many of our recently retired police officers are needing further employment to supplement their meagre inflation proofed pensions!

They seem to drift into all kinds of positions which could legitimately be filled by genuine jobseekers including those looking for interesting career changes. A lot of these are within local government. The motorsport quango for example, seems awash with retired bobbies and civil servants supposedly helping with the organisation but in reallity bogging everything down to government levels of inefficiency!

Is it right that these people should be allowed to retire in their 40's and snap up plum jobs at the taxpayers expense? It causes knock on problems right down the employment scale leaving unemployed people at the bottom! I know of 2 people who were constructively dismissed to make way for ex bobbies, one was out of work for over a year due to the way his case was treated.

If retired policemen and women were living on social security I suppose you'd be complaining that they were spongers.

but on the other hand,

you have a list of ppl applying for a job,

and one of them ppl has worked at a job for 20 years then left and retired,

It shows commitment to the job the fact he last 20 years without haveing to be sacket etc etc,

in my eyes there employing the best person for the job,

we all have the choice to pick and chosse what we do as a job, we all could have applyed to be a cop but some of us chose not to.

good luck to them i say

Yes, but they are living on their pensions which is then supplemented by their salaried re-employment positions. So, we are paying a pension and a salary, while a post is filled by a voluntarily superannuated person, not an unretired person. Another triple whammy, pay the pension, pay the salary and exclude someone from gainful employment

Does it not strike anyone as a bit strange that the choice of whether to retire early depended on whether they would be re-employed after retirement?

Yes, but they are living on their pensions which is then supplemented by their salaried re-employment positions. So, we are paying a pension and a salary, while a post is filled by a voluntarily superannuated person, not a unretired person.

still can not see no wrong with that, as long as the right person has filled the job,

why should thay not be allowed to get a job after thay have retired,

is it there fault thay pick a place to work in that could mean thay can retire in there 40s on a nice wage, but still go out and work,

can see no wrong doing

Does it not strike anyone as a bit strange that the choice of whether to retire early depended on whether they would be re-employed after retirement?

no id say its called being clever

Unless, of course, it is back with your old (public sector) employer.

So the scenario is this: I can take early retirement at 50, and get my pension (probably a lump sum too), but can only really do that if you will re-employ me as a non-pensioned employee on something like the same salary. You will? OK I will take early retirement, thank you.

Unless, of course, it is back with your old (public sector) employer.

So the scenario is this: I can take early retirement at 50, and get my pension (probably a lump sum too), but can only really do that if you will re-employ me as a non-pensioned employee on something like the same salary. You will? OK I will take early retirement, thank you.

but you cant blame them, if the offers there you be nuts to not take it

Archived