Jobs For The Boys (in Blue)

Max Power

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is no different to Service personel who join up at 18, serve their 22 year contract and then retire from the service at 40. No reason they shouldn't get another job, continueing to be a contributing member of society.

Some people have got nothing better to do than moan about people actually working instead of sitting on their arses being a drain on the system.

This is no different to Service personel who join up at 18, serve their 22 year contract and then retire from the service at 40. No reason they shouldn't get another job, continueing to be a contributing member of society.

Some people have got nothing better to do than moan about people actually working instead of sitting on their arses being a drain on the system.

The point is, they are not getting another job, but really the same job that they had before 'retirement'. I don't have a probelm with early retirement dates etc. but should they really be re-employed by the same employer?

Whether it is service personnel or policemen, or anyone else, they should not be given a job just as a matter of course. And I don't know what is meant by a 'contributing member of society'.

I would of thought is was obvious. A person in gainful employment paying tax back into the system.

As opposed to a non-contributing member of society.....benefit scroungers.

The point is, they are not getting another job, but really the same job that they had before 'retirement'. I don't have a probelm with early retirement dates etc. but should they really be re-employed by the same employer?

So once you have served your time as a policeman/women thats it you've had it no more jobs for you.

So much for a competitive jobs market where you can be excluded because of your previous employment choice (especially one as vital as police service).

not really, retired folks tend to take a job in a sector they have knowledge or experience of. there are a few retired police who work in byelaw enforcement, they have the 'skills' to deal with wrong doers and make statements. no point in employing a retired nurse to do the same job when a copper is available. the big difference as already pointed out is that in the sedrvices the pension is based on years worked, they have to do 25 or 30 and get a pension based on their years and the LARGE contributioins they payed in. the pension is good cos they payed for it. same as any of us could put away over 10% of our earnings into a private one to top up the 'work' one. but for the rest of us our age determines when we get our pension, and not how many byears we have worked. i do think that a small number seem to get re employed in their old job, or supervising their old job, and that should be looked at. the fact that they don't seem to want to let people go, or feel the need to keep them suggests they are not training underlings up to do the job while they were in charge? maybe a sort of job protection scheme? the police went through a stage of getting rid of older officers and getting 2 newbies for the same money, but they also retired the experience and local knowledge at the same time so not the greatest idea. it did give more bobbies for similar money so on paper it looked good. also new officers don't get housing payments ( that went quite a few years ago ) and probably have a lesser pension plan too??

it may have changed but Police used to get 1/2 pay as pension after 25 years service and 3/4 after 30 years service.

(can you imagine 65year old bobbies running after teenagers to catch them ?)

I think firemen also have a retirement age of 50

Firefighters have to retire at 55

it may have changed but Police used to get 1/2 pay as pension after 25 years service and 3/4 after 30 years service.

(can you imagine 65year old bobbies running after teenagers to catch them ?)

I think firemen also have a retirement age of 50

Firefighters have to retire at 55

they can retire earlier if they have done the years, they have to retire at 55 if they joined up later in life and can't get their 30 or 25 years in, but their pension is based on the years served. you can't join at 40 and do 15 years service and get a 25 year service pension. which all seems fair.

Unless, of course, it is back with your old (public sector) employer.

So the scenario is this: I can take early retirement at 50, and get my pension (probably a lump sum too), but can only really do that if you will re-employ me as a non-pensioned employee on something like the same salary. You will? OK I will take early retirement, thank you.

Is that really happening? Really? Because I know loads of retired policemen and none of them have done that.

Archived