Jobs For The Boys (in Blue)

Max Power

not just to do with the boys in blue, my uncle mentioned this to me a few month back, he's just retired.

ex teachers is the example he gave, 2 he mentioned, 1 a posty, 1 a MEA metre reader.

sitting on big pensions and taking jobs "for something to do"

not right in my opinion

I think that the Police pay more than anyone else into their pensions so that they can retire early, but can't remember the figure (14% springs to mind. Anyone know for sure?)

When i retired at 43 we were paying 11% into pension fund.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that they still pay 11% of their salary into the pension scheme. No matter how you look at it, that is a hell of a contribution over 30 years, so no wonder the pension is good. As for getting other employment, sure it is an employers interest to employ the most capable people for a particular position, and if that person is a retired copper with plenty of experience and knowledge, so be it.............

So lets get this right, several people here are moaning about a group of people who in general take more risks in life than most and do a job they either wont do or are not capable of doing, people who daily have to endure the dregs and worst of humanity, who also pay a decent amount into their pension, then after years of service they get to a point where they cannot work at this job anymore but they decide they still want to work rather than vegetate and you begrudge these people getting the money that they have payed into in what is in effect an endowment/savings plan. So as usual the green eyed monster has to show its ugly head.

It all changed in 2006 when the New Police Pension Scheme came into force. This scheme doesn't have the accelerated accrual after 20 years whereby members could have maximum 2/3rds pension after 30 years service, or 25years at age 50+.

Now, it's a pension of 50% of pensionable pay and 4X Pension as a lump sum after 35 years service.

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/resea.../snbt-00700.pdf

However, over here (Not sure about IOM) from 6th April 2010, the earliest retirement age for all will be 55 apart from on "Ill Health Grounds"

As regards UK Fire Service pensions.

Formerly the retirement age was 55 for ranks up to Station Officer, 60 for ranks of Assistant Divisional Officer and above.

Guys who had 30 years in could retire on a full pension at age 50.

Contribution rates were 11%

This has now changed.

New entrants are now on a different scheme.

Uninformed whingers who would like to see operational crews consisting of people in their sixties slipping and pitching a 13.5 and running in as a BA crew on a good hot persons reported are talking out of their arses.

Feel free to argue.

Better still go do the BA varied conditions at FSC Moreton In Marsh.

You may then have some slight insight into the physical demands.

Strikes me that the complaint here is more about the terms of the pension than about pensioners taking jobs.

If you work on the basis that the pension is fair, then I'd rather employ someone like an ex-bobby with years of experience than someone without - let's face it, they know how to work within 'the system' and how the heirarchy operates.

If you think the pension deal is too generous, surely that's a different debate.

If a retired policeman receives a pension when retires at 40 and finds employment in a well paid position then they shouldn't have that pension anymore. Not at all. Wait until you have finished working and THEN get your pension. Same 'rules' as for anyone else. Assuming the pension is paid by the state, there shouldn't be a requirement to pay when such people are working.

So lets get this right, several people here are moaning about a group of people who in general take more risks in life than most and do a job they either wont do or are not capable of doing, people who daily have to endure the dregs and worst of humanity
I tend to think the worst of humanity is seen in the police force.

If a retired policeman receives a pension when retires at 40 and finds employment in a well paid position then they shouldn't have that pension anymore. Not at all. Wait until you have finished working and THEN get your pension. Same 'rules' as for anyone else. Assuming the pension is paid by the state, there shouldn't be a requirement to pay when such people are working.

So lets get this right, several people here are moaning about a group of people who in general take more risks in life than most and do a job they either wont do or are not capable of doing, people who daily have to endure the dregs and worst of humanity
I tend to think the worst of humanity is seen in the police force.

"I tend to think the worst of humanity is seen in the police force"...

So not the murderers, rapists, thieves, muggers, drink drivers, drug dealers, paedophiles etc, but the ones who are there in fact to protect and serve?

Let us just hope you never have to rely on the worst in humanity to come to your rescue in your time of need.

Tell you what LDV, when you crawl under your care bears quilt tonight, don't forget to thank whatever you believe in that some people, ordinary men and women in the armed forces, the emergency services and a lot of others, can be arsed to put themselves out to help non entities like you. And they'll keep on doing so despite your peurile sneering and denigration.

Tell you what LDV, when you crawl under your care bears quilt tonight, don't forget to thank whatever you believe in that some people, ordinary men and women in the armed forces, the emergency services and a lot of others, can be arsed to put themselves out to help non entities like you. And they'll keep on doing so despite your peurile sneering and denigration.

And with a smile on their faces.

I think it has already been said that Police pay for their own pensions. (11%?) There is no burden on the State unless they live into their 80's. And the average age at death for an officer who has served 30 years working shifts used to be 58 years.

don't forget to thank whatever you believe in that some people, ordinary men and women in the armed forces
What do the armed forces have to do with anything, besides they don't exist to protect me? I was talking about the police.

So not the murderers, rapists, thieves, muggers, drink drivers, drug dealers, paedophiles etc, but the ones who are there in fact to protect and serve?
They don't protect and they don't serve my interest. And in comparison with the examples given, police do what they do as a JOB, with the obvious exception of drug dealing (which we can hardly be critical of). Not really comparable to these examples in the quality of their actions.

don't forget to thank whatever you believe in that some people, ordinary men and women in the armed forces
What do the armed forces have to do with anything, besides they don't exist to protect me? I was talking about the police.

They don't protect and they don't serve my interest. And in comparison with the examples given, police do what they do as a JOB, with the obvious exception of drug dealing (which we can hardly be critical of). Not really comparable to these examples in the quality of their actions.

Troll.

Every single thing you say is contry to the norm, the masses, common sense and common concensus.

Your responses are designed to cause dissent and arguement. You would argue the sky is purple if anyone said it is blue.

How do they not protect?

And what interests would you like them to serve?

We all know you think drug dealers are a poor hard done by bunch but the reality is they are not.

Lala land. Every. Last. Word.

Troll. Every single thing you say is contry to the norm, the masses, common sense and common concensus.
Troll? Because I disagree with previous comments painting the policeforce as a force for good? If I read comments I disagree with I put in my views. Simply because something is the norm and the masses agree with it doesn't mean it is right. Nothing common sense about it. I don't argue the toss for the sake of it, I have good reasons for how I think. I've said all this before.

They don't protect because they deal with those who have already committed crimes and don't bring to them to any decent form of justice. And they can only serve the state, that is their purpose.

We all know you think drug dealers are a poor hard done by bunch but the reality is they are not.
No, they are not. But their situation is no more different from those who sell alcohol and nicotine.

I have no problem with coppers retiring whenever they do, but there are uses for them after "retirement" within the force. |We are forever hearing how paperwork ties up a lot of coppers and therefore they are unable to be "out on the beat" so why don't the powers that be employ the retired coppers to do the admin stuff/ paperwork and training? This way they aren't taking jobs that others may well be able to fill and they are still employed, I'm not saying that they would have to be paid the full whack of an officer, obviously the nuts and bolts of this suggestion would have to be sorted by someone far more profficient in wage/pension structure than I.

Archived