Bound By Jurisdiction

Topaz

I was under the impression that a country/nation could only be bound by a jurisdiction agreement if they have expressly and specifically agreed to it.

Has the Isle of Man agreed to terms allowing a Manx resident to be brought to book in the UK when he/ she has not committed a crime there? I must have missed it, if so. Anyone know when that discussion and agreement took place? Who was involved? What are the terms?

Where would this leave the 'Solway Harvester saga' if this proves to be the case? There was no legislation for the charge of corporate manslaughter on the Islands statutes therefore the case collapsed. The ship owner was not hauled off to another Jurisdiction where that charge could be implemented. Even though the ship owner was not Manx or even a resident, the respective courts were still bound by jurisdiction.

If there should arise a question of an alleged internet offence, then surely we as a nation will have examined the pluses and negatives in the matter of abandoning a 'bound by jurisdiction agreement'. Or maybe not.

Has the Isle of Man agreed to terms allowing a Manx resident to be brought to book in the UK when he/ she has not committed a crime there? I must have missed it, if so. Anyone know when that discussion and agreement took place? Who was involved? What are the terms?

How do you know the crime didn't take place in the UK?

I am not refering to any specific incident or person....hence the title of the post.

My interest is in where Manx residents stand in relation to the legal process involved in cross Jurisdiction arrests . My question is have we agreed terms?

It seems that UK courts can charge British Nationals for (at least some) activities which are crimes under UK legislation allegedly committed abroad in places where it isn't a crime. AFAIK this was brought in to clamp down on sex-tourism - I don't know whether this extends to all criminal offences under UK law.

I am not refering to any specific incident or person....hence the title of the post.

My interest is in where Manx residents stand in relation to the legal process involved in cross Jurisdiction arrests . My question is have we agreed terms?

Some statutes have extra-territorial clauses in them. The IoM Computer Security Act 1992 is en example of this.

The UK Government has closed off the fishing grounds inside twelve miles ( their own territorial waters ) to preserve future shell fish stocks. Yesterday and today over 30 UK registered fishing boats were fishing up to 3 miles off Douglas coast alone, with further boats due from Ireland. The islands Minister for fisheries has said that what available fish is in the twelve miles of the islands coast will be fished out within seven days leaving the local fishing industry in trouble and the possibility of the Manx fleet being laid up.

The UK Government has closed off the fishing grounds inside twelve miles ( their own territorial waters ) to preserve future shell fish stocks. Yesterday and today over 30 UK registered fishing boats were fishing up to 3 miles off Douglas coast alone, with further boats due from Ireland. The islands Minister for fisheries has said that what available fish is in the twelve miles of the islands coast will be fished out within seven days leaving the local fishing industry in trouble and the possibility of the Manx fleet being laid up.

What's that to do with this topic?

What's that to do with this topic?

juristictional boundaries??

Archived