International Business School

Moghrey Mie

Maybe I need to take a course there I have never understood the finances of the so-called International Business School at the Nunnery.

They run extensive grounds and premises and seem to employ about 20 people according to their website.

And all this with a small number of students doing diplomas and certificates in financial management and marketing. 67 people have just 'graduated'

Would student fees cover the cost of everything or is it subsidised by the Department of Education?

I hate to be seen to actually say something nice and positive about manx gov.

But.

I did a DTI approved and sponsored Small Business Start Up Course there a couple of years ago.

And I have to say that it was top notch.

Can't fault it at all.

First rate.

Ridiculous white elephant - another pup sold to the government as part of the "diversification" mantra.

Get rid

I think that the general idea is that it will grow to be "The IOM university" .

They have to start somewhere and I hope it will blossom and grow

A friend of mine left with a first and thought the place was great and the support from Gov was first class. One of the few things that is worth investing in imo oh and btw he works on the island paying tax and has bought property here so positive all round. I am the first to criticise Gov white elephant waste but this is something to be applauded for our young people.

I think that the general idea is that it will grow to be "The IOM university" .

They have to start somewhere and I hope it will blossom and grow

Hopefully. A university full of (and therefore funded by) overseas students would be great for the island.

Wasn't that the idea initially-hordes of Chinese students? But they never materialised.

They can probably get a better deal at a real university in Australia or Hong Kong.

A Tourism degree could be an appropriate course to offer - or better still Eco Tourism. Also we're ideally situated for Celtic Studies, including Gaelic. Might get Japanese students then - they seem to like all things Celtic.

It needs a Celtic music department.

S

One point I should add on the 'international student' idea. The IOM Immigration office seem to be opposed to international students, and despite having admission accepted by the school, they will turn around and say the intention of the individual is NOT to attend the school - but is instead to enjoy the Island life - and will refuse the visa application.

The IOM Immigration Office make it very difficult (near impossible) to get into the Island to study at this school. Fact.

As far as I can see in the the detailed govt accounts, the IOM Business school cost £1.5M in 2008/9 and brought in £700K. I don't know how that is further broken down/analysed, or if it needs to be e.g. whether lecturers are paid for by the DoE etc.?

I am a great believer in education and training and think that our doing it here, but above all doing it right, is critical to our economy. I also firmly believe it should be first designed to cater for our own student/business needs before it is simply used as a 'business' to bring in foreign students (though that is part of the reality many university business models have to take into consideration these days). Even if we do bring in foreign students, I think we need to prioritise this from areas in which island businesses do business, as it can be a strong and effective way to build future business relationships.

The fact is, image is often everything in these things. A degree from the IOM college will not have the same psychological kudos if it were from the Isle of Man Business school (or IOM university if that develops). On the other hand, a degree from a UK university with an associated IOM Business school, is still a degree from that UK university. With the exception of Oxbridge, where people studied is not such the major factor many people may think it might be when people are seeking jobs years after they have graduated.

And of course there are the costs of funding students in the UK to now consider. Not trivial sums in the current VAT debacle, so overall, I somehow suspect that we will see far more use of the business school over the next two years. The whole issue of student grants is going to come under the microscope I suspect, if it hasn't already. Why for instance fund people for courses they are unlikely to get employment in? Even in the good times 50% of physiotherapy graduates weren't getting jobs. I think many students are about to discover the hard realities of the financial situation and will have some very limited choices next year. As usual, those choices will impact those students/parents least able to afford it.

So I'd like to see the business school prepare several more associated degree courses for running over here from next year - and not just business related courses - courses based on the islands economic strategy, a future/leaner civil service, engineering management etc. I'm sure they could come up with numerous ideas all useful to what we do here and are trying to encourage here. Cheaper to do that here than subsidise students likely to leave the island. If you are more likely to get work after a course, it will be easier to sell it to a student. Maybe they could also encourage a few senior and middle manager civil servants (and others with future potential) to go on a course, and go on half or more reduced pay or take a sabbatical for 2 years! You never know - 20 or so, or maybe even more out of 8000 might go for it - immediately cutting some costs and preparing for that 'leaner administrative future' they will have to face.

And I know that some might think that sounds harsh, and limits choice. But harshness and limited choice are what come with any financial crisis or uncertainty - whether that crisis is in the economy itself, or mum/dad get sick and lose their job.

I hate to be seen to actually say something nice and positive about manx gov.

But.

I did a DTI approved and sponsored Small Business Start Up Course there a couple of years ago.

And I have to say that it was top notch.

Can't fault it at all.

First rate.

I enjoyed and learned from that course also, the three grand afterwards was very useful as well.

I enjoyed and learned from that course also, the three grand afterwards was very useful as well.

I just went for the training, didn't apply for the the Financial Assistance grant and allowance.

Archived