State-sponsored Killings

Pragmatopian

State-sponsored killings  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Washington Sniper Is Put To Death

Sniper Executed With Lethal Precision

The man behind the 2002 sniper attacks in and around Washington DC has been executed after a final appeal was thrown out.

John Allen Muhammad's lawyers say he was mentally ill, but Virginia Governor Tim Kaine rejected a plea for clemency.

Muhammad, 48, was injected with a lethal drug for the murder of Dean Harold Meyers, one of 10 people killed during the attacks.

However much due process is involved and however controlled and clinical the method it still seems so wrong to me, regardless of the circumstances.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does the neutral option mean?

I think it is bad, very bad that the justice system arranges the murder of its citizens. The only time it would be warranted is if this guy was in the act shooting at people and risking people's lives. In that moment it is acceptable for anyone to use violence to stop him, if killing is the only option then so be it. It is different matter when such a person has been stopped.

Anyway, this guy seems to have had mental health issues.

It’s not killing, it’s euthanizing a creature who has jeopardised his human rights to life by his actions.

The ONLY problem I have with the death penalty being available and used for a number of crimes is that in some cases it would be an easy out for the perp.

There are some offences that should entail a prolonged period of imprisonment in harsh conditions, not just loss of freedom, to make the perp suffer and THEN top the scum.

Offences such as child abuse for one.

Sod Rights. This doesn't have to be about rights. All you are saying is that he is apparently jeopardising his ability to exists because of the actions of others in retribution. But why the need for retribution?

There are some offences that should entail a prolonged period of imprisonment in harsh conditions, not just loss of freedom, to make the perp suffer and THEN top the scum.
Oh, you do like revenge very much then? It would appear to make more sense to torture and then have him back in society, rather than torutre and murder.

Monasteries used to employ a version of 'reclusion' that might be more appropriate.

The person is placed in a cell and only leaves that cell when he is dead. The only opening is a small window through which to pass food.

In the cell he has only the bare essentials and he sleeps in a wooden box which will eventually become his coffin.

Something to instil fear of punishment that is very low on maintainance costs.

It’s not killing, it’s euthanizing a creature who has jeopardised his human rights to life by his actions.

The ONLY problem I have with the death penalty being available and used for a number of crimes is that in some cases it would be an easy out for the perp.

Offences such as child abuse for one.

people like you should not be allowed to vote.

Why not? Do not you think Rog's opinions and views could even be expressed through voting?

to clarify, i mean in this poll not in elections.

Rog states that its not killing its euthanizing a creature. stating that criminals of a certain calibre are less than human points to a deep inability to rationally debate a suitable punishment for said criminals. he has lost his objectivitity and as a result his opinions on this matter and his vote in the poll will simple throw off the results i.e: the actual thoughts of the people on this subject.

given his frame of mind in that post, would you want him doing jury duty, on a case where you were on trial for a serious crime, but were actually innocent.

I can't honestly say i would have any faith in his ability to maintain his objectivity.

He is either very angry on a personal level because of a particular event in his life, or a sociopath who sees many of the human race (other than his choosen few) to be nothing more than cattle.

In the same way that you would not allow a family member of the victim of a crime to do jury duty or decide the punishment of the accused, rogs opinion should be considered bias.

rogs opinion should be considered bias.

Isn't everyone's?

Is the right answer.

Removing someone's ability to vote because you don't like the way they think is the thin end of a very large wedge amigo.

i'll come clean, i dont care about rogs vote throwing off the poll, i was hoping a few people would argue freedom of speech as that the crux of my death penalty argument.

everyone has the right to free speech regardless of how vile there opinion is.

everyone deserves to live, regardless of their crimes.

punishment for the guilty, but remeber that no judicial system is perfect, there are innocent people in our prisons.

No state could be trusted, all would abuse the death penalty. Polititians currying the favour of the rog type voters come election time with a few "electric chair extravaganzas", for quick re-election.

there is a parallel between the two, free speech, and death penalty that few ever consider.

Just as it is a dangerous slope for a society to silence one voice or the voice of a group of people whos opinions differ from our own, so too it is also dangerous to divide ourselves from the criminal element of our society in "us" vs "them". Crime is a symptom of a broken society, not just through poverty, but more often through being socially or morally corrupt.

we cannot give life, should we be quite so ready to metre out death in judgement?

the defence rests.

Archived