Microsoft Cutting Off Up To 1m Gamers With Modified Xbox 360 Consoles

joeyconcrete

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/...e-cut-microsoft

Microsoft says it is cutting off gamers who have modified their Xbox 360 consoles by adding extra chips or hard drives from its Xbox Live online services. The company says that "a small percentage" are affected – possibly as many as 600,000 of the 20 million Xbox Live players, but perhaps up to 1 million around the world

I had a chip in my old Xbox (ie not 360) to use XBMC etc and they said back then that anyone using copied games online would be banned. Not sure if this is the same deal, or if they can somehow detect if the machine is chipped whether you've played nicked games online or not.

Doesn't seem clear (from the article I read - not this one) if they just disable the user account, or block the specific machine (mac address etc), as doing the latter would mean lots of dodgy blocked consoles on teh 2nd hand market.

They're banning the console from Live. You still have your Gamer Tag and Profile available but the machine can no longer connect to Live Network. I flashed mine about a month ago while I had it in bits fixing an E74 error. Turned it on Monday night to be told it had been banned. Typical timing by myself as usual.

Bugger. Why can't they just ban the account/profile?

I suppose they see it as the machine itself has the chip in it, therefore it's likely to still have it and be used illegally when it's then sold to someone else, but it could make it tricky to buy a used one and know that all is fine with it.

Yeah that's probably what it boils down to, I'm not too fussed about mine being banned as I've had the same console for the past 4years so it's had a good innings. I've since swapped mine with my brothers Halo Edition one as he rarely plays his, and when he does he never goes on live.

The thing with the 360 is it's not even a chip that they're picking up on, it seems as though it's the flashing of the DVD drive that they've managed to trace as that's all I did to mine (aswell as adding a fan or two), basically anyone who is running iExtreme firmware is screwed if they connect to live.

I'm guessing here, but I reckon any Xbox's on the 'bay with the RROD are about to go up in price....

They haven't got mine yet but i haven't conected to live for a while, i'll use my legit one for that ;)

the guy who created ixtreme firmware, c4eva, insists they can't detect the firmware but he wold say that wouldn't he? over on xboxscene there are hundreds of people who have been banned and the only common thing is flashed firmware

Looks like c4eva has finally put his hands up and admitted it must be the firmware they're detecting. Ixtreme LT is now in the works, whether people are going to trust this now though is a different matter.....

I love this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technolo...00/10002915.stm

Basically it's the game companies fault, because he can't afford the things he wants so has to steal them. Idiot.

Looks like c4eva has finally put his hands up and admitted it must be the firmware they're detecting. Ixtreme LT is now in the works, whether people are going to trust this now though is a different matter.....

I love this:

Basically it's the game companies fault, because he can't afford the things he wants so has to steal them. Idiot.

Is it the same for music?

I love this:

That article sounds like something from a spoof website. Unbelievable that the BBC printed this.

What a moron.

I've probably saved about £600 and I've copied roughly 30 or 40 games. A lot of them I've downloaded or I've taken off friends that have downloaded themselves.

To be honest, I've contemplated whether to move to Playstation 3 or buy another Xbox. I wouldn't do it again but I really don't know if I'm going to get the Xbox again now."

I better Microsoft are gutted they've lost this guy

Archived