Stoned To Death

Terse

BBC STORY

A 20-year-old woman divorcee accused of committing adultery in Somalia has been stoned to death by Islamists in front of a crowd of about 200 people.

A judge working for the militant group al-Shabab said she had had an affair with an unmarried 29-year-old man.

It is thought to be the second time a woman has been stoned to death for adultery by al-Shabab.

The group controls large swathes of southern Somalia where they have imposed a strict interpretation of Islamic law which has been unpopular with many Somalis.

According to reports from a small village near the town of Wajid, 250 miles (400km) north-west of the capital, Mogadishu, the woman was taken to the public grounds where she was buried up to her waist.

She was then stoned to death in front of the crowds on Tuesday afternoon.

al-Shabab's interpretation of Sharia law, anyone who has ever been married - even a divorcee - who has an affair is liable to be found guilty of adultery, punishable by stoning to death.

An unmarried person who has sex before marriage is liable to be given 100 lashes.

Could someone please remind me what year/century we're living in?

BBC STORY

A 20-year-old woman divorcee accused of committing adultery in Somalia has been stoned to death by Islamists in front of a crowd of about 200 people.

she had had an affair with an unmarried 29-year-old man.

Have i read that right?

If so i dont see what the problem was because it wasnt an affair as such!

Either way its dreadfully sad. :(

I am just wondering whether the same posters as usual will drop by to lecture on how she break the law and therefore she should have been stoned because those are the laws of that country.

It isn't the laws of that Country though. Just a bunch of fantatics impletmenting their version of a load of bollocks, not the Somali Government (such as it is).

Guest chunkylover
I am just wondering whether the same posters as usual will drop by to lecture on how she break the law and therefore she should have been stoned because those are the laws of that country.

i'm surprised that's not your opinion tbh

It hasn't had a government for years and still less any laws.

They are the laws of a powerful group, an elite, who use their military force to impose control over the population and impose their laws on the people. Not any different from what you have in any other country. Underpinning these rules is religion.

Your use of english is very careless for someone who aledgedly works in media. As I understand it, the shabab militia who organized the stoning, are the ones who wish to impose sharia law. The "government" as much as it can be called that, would be far less severe. But then again I can remember seeing a film on the BBC news, of a mullah in Afghanistan summarily executing a man with an AK47 for adultery, when the taliban ruled the place. They had stonings and all sorts, but people here do have short memories. If the Yanks, Russians and Chinese jointly invaded the place to stop the piracy, it wouldn't be long before someone was up on his soapbox to say the people of Somalia should be left in peace!

It hasn't had a government for years and still less any laws.

Well whose governing who in this situation? And what are these rules that are being applied to the people? It doesn't have a representative government that is voted for by the people and it doesn't have a State apparatus that results from this, but there doesn't mean there are no laws and no government.

Archived