Facts

FCMR

It makes me really mad, a single parent scams £250.00 from the DHSS and aside from having to pay it back they get a criminal record to boot - these types of wealthy people claim grants and when they get caught upto no go...what? NOTHING, grrr grrr grrr.

Edit - Gosh really sorry ans - really

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I guess she told him they were paid and the butler signed them as paid. Like I said all complete and utter bull. I blame the parents ...

Butlers? Parents? What on earth are you whittering on about?

all complete and utter bull.

You said it!

They also get prosicuted within a couple of weeks and go to prison.

If there's evidence to support a prosecution, then likely a prosecution will follow. If the court convicts on the basis of that evidence, an appropriate sentence gets imposed.

If there's no or insufficient evidence, there'll possibly be no prosection and probably no conviction. Without a conviction, no-one goes to prison. In FACT, they won't even fine you.

Sure, he's a public figure. But his choice of defence is his private business.

He has registered Dickinson, Cruickshank & Co (Geof Karran) as his Advocates with the Courts, who are also the Governments Advocates.

The government has nothing to do with the civil case.

Assuming Dickinsons have nowt to do with the DTL grants scheme or any investigation into that scheme by the government (i.e. a conflict of interest), what is to stop them, or any other firm of advocates which does work for the government, from representing any member or government (or the public sector) in a private capacity?

Dickinsons are not THE Govt Advocates. They are one of at least five firms of advocates which do work for the various arms of goverment (and its statutory boards, such as the MEA and FSC).

And there is a Government Advocate within the Attorney General's chambers, but he'd be likely see himself as conflcited if advice was provided in relation to the DTL scheme or if he's advised on any issue relating to a prospective prosecution (actual conflict situations) or if it was felt that there may be a perception that there was a conflict.

And there is a Government Advocate within the Attorney General's chambers, but he'd be likely see himself as conflcited if advice was provided in relation to the DTL scheme or if he's advised on any issue relating to a prospective prosecution (actual conflict situations) or if it was felt that there may be a perception that there was a conflict.

Erm, Ian, HOW long have you lived on the Island?

Sure, he's a public figure. But his choice of defence is his private business.

He has registered Dickinson, Cruickshank & Co (Geof Karran) as his Advocates with the Courts, who are also the Governments Advocates.

The government has nothing to do with the civil case.

Assuming Dickinsons have nowt to do with the DTL grants scheme or any investigation into that scheme by the government (i.e. a conflict of interest), what is to stop them, or any other firm of advocates which does work for the government, from representing any member or government (or the public sector) in a private capacity?

Dickinsons are not THE Govt Advocates. They are one of at least five firms of advocates which do work for the various arms of goverment (and its statutory boards, such as the MEA and FSC).

Dickinsons were acting for the DTL at the Tynwald sellect hearing into Grants paid to Ned. They also acted for the DTL when the Builders took them to court to obtain the information that Ned had been paid grants.

According to the Deeds office the same Advocate acted for one of the the Builders as well as Ned on property deals, so to me its a conflict of interest if the Advocate knows the finacial affairs of both parties.

edited by declan - see Happy Camper's post

According to the Deeds office the same Advocate acted for one of the the Builders as well as Ned on property deals, so to me its a conflict of interest if the Advocate knows the finacial affairs of both parties.

It is not a conflict of interest if an Advocate has acted for both parties at separate times and on different issues. Just because you have once acted for a particular party, that does not mean you cannot act for anyone associated to them in a separate issue. Think about it, on an island as small and incestuous (figuratively speaking) such as this, if you applied those rules Advocates would soon be unable to act for anyone.

It seems that my last post has been deleted, what for I dont Know. The answers that were posted are something that I should know about, as we are the ones that have taken the legal action against the Neds and also the ones that have attended all the court hearings as well as the Tynwald debates. Its all in Hansards anyway, so be it

Archived