Ps3 Repair

Mazza

You could try Console Doctor - http://www.consoledoctor.co.uk/

I have used them after the warrenty ran out on my 60gb one. They fixed it (about £90 if I recall correctly) but a couple of months later it fell over again. Not to worry, their 6 month warrenty on their work was in force. I sent it back to them, they checked it, told me they couldn't fix it this time, and sent me an 80gb one as a replacement. They're pretty quick too, and keep you informed every step of the way.

Help !! Was playing MW2 last night, finished a game and it stuck on the summary screen. Turned off PS3 and rebooted eventually and now it gets to main PS3 menu but its not recognising there is a disc in at all. Tried putting other discs in and same result. Looks likes it stopped reading discs all together.

Anyone else had a similar problem. Any suggestions on how to fix before I have to send back or try a drastic system reset ?

Help !! Was playing MW2 last night, finished a game and it stuck on the summary screen. Turned off PS3 and rebooted eventually and now it gets to main PS3 menu but its not recognising there is a disc in at all. Tried putting other discs in and same result. Looks likes it stopped reading discs all together.

Anyone else had a similar problem. Any suggestions on how to fix before I have to send back or try a drastic system reset ?

hiya,

don't fancy a reset, (I think???????) phoned sony they said the laser has gone, they said I could send to them by phoning to arrange +100£££, only thing is they don't guarentee to send yours back, apparently it's a repaired/recon one.........raises questions to me to be honest.

still trying to decide what to do about mine, exactly the same problem as you.

If you do a reset could you post on here and let me know how it worked out for you............I got a price of £80 from phaze 2 but, (hey need I say more???)

If sony are right and it is the laser then any repair should not cause you to loose any data, films, pics, music or more importantly GAME SAVES......

keep us updated on what the descision will be.

Thank's,

Maz's hubby :o)

hiya,

don't fancy a reset, (I think???????) phoned sony they said the laser has gone, they said I could send to them by phoning to arrange +100£££, only thing is they don't guarentee to send yours back, apparently it's a repaired/recon one.........raises questions to me to be honest.

still trying to decide what to do about mine, exactly the same problem as you.

If you do a reset could you post on here and let me know how it worked out for you............I got a price of £80 from phaze 2 but, (hey need I say more???)

If sony are right and it is the laser then any repair should not cause you to loose any data, films, pics, music or more importantly GAME SAVES......

keep us updated on what the descision will be.

Thank's,

Maz's hubby :o)

You could always backup your important files , game saves etc.. to an external hard drive.Most of the PS3 owners that I know that have a 40 , 60 or 80Gb model do this anyway. You can pick up external hdd's quite reasonably now from Waltons , Colebourne's or Computers 4 U , or even cheaper online

I Have This One For My PC

You should be able to back-up your PS3 to an external HD, reformat the PS3, and then restore the system from the exernal HDD.

Or (if you have an old 'fat boy'), you can add your own HDD into the PS3 (2.5" - up to 750GB) - I have THIS in my PS3 and it works like a charm! :)

You can find out how to add it here.

But - if a system restore hasn't fixed your laser problems, then you'll need to go a little further!

You only really have 3 options;

1. Take the system back to Sony (provided you're within your warranty).

2. Get it fixed yourself! You can get replacement parts for your PS3 online and fit them yourself! Probably best not to try this unless your warranty is over and you have some very basic knowledge of taking things apart - although, tutorials can be found online to help you. A new laser would cost around £50

3. Sell it on eBay! If you don't think you can fix it, or have tried and failed - throw it on eBay and use the funds to get yourself another one...! Even if you opened it and mesed it up, somone out there will know what to do and will pay decent money for it...

Failing that, get an x-box and PM me when it breaks... ;)

Just throwing that out there - £20 to fix your x-box 360...

Best of luck with however you go about sorting it out!

You can pick up external hdd's quite reasonably now from Waltons , Colebourne's or Computers 4 U............

Really!!?? Not to be disparaging to your helpful post bud, but I've never found Waltons or Colebournes to be in any way reasonable when it comes to computer parts (or anything else for that matter). I've never visited Computers 4 U though, where's it based at?

• 2 weeks later...
...... or Computers 4 U............

Really!!?? Not to be disparaging to your helpful post bud, but I've never found Waltons or Colebournes to be in any way reasonable when it comes to computer parts (or anything else for that matter). I've never visited Computers 4 U though, where's it based at?

Never, rather Waltons any day over that lot... :o

You can pick up external hdd's quite reasonably now from Waltons , Colebourne's or Computers 4 U............

When I say reasonably , I mean reasonable enough for me. The fact that I said 'or even cheaper online' in my original post shows that you can get it cheaper online , but after several unhappy experiences from eBay , Dabs , Dell , Amazon , Scan & eBuyer I prefer to pay more and get my pc parts locally. I have heard that Waltons can be expensive , but Computers 4 U in Ramsey always looks after me well and I think what I have bought from them has been fairly priced.

• 1 month later...

Archived