Ps3 Or Xb360

Stu Peters

Decided to buy a games console and keep my PC for less arduous tasks. Which to buy?

Fancy a 360 because I believe it's a good piece of kit and would probably be more intuitive for an old fart who might be able to use it as part of the home network here - and nobody got fired (just stoned occasionally) for buying Microsoft.

PS3 has a BluRay though, which appeals as I've a 1080p telly, although since I rarely watch DVD's I dunno if I'd get that much use from it.

Would be primarily used for driving/flying sims and ganes with a wheel or joystick - no interest in World of Watercraft or whatever.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's not much between them now, both share a lot of games and both have some really good exclusives. Boils down to three things for me:

- What games you want (eg forza is a superb driving game and only 360, Uncharted is a great modern take on tomb raider, but is only ps3)

- Where your mates play

- Do you need blu ray?

Another one that owned both and a Wii too. Out of them all the PS3 was used the least as the online gaming at the time just wasn't a patch on Xbox Live, whether that's stillt he same now I don't know. Must admit the Blu-Ray looked fantastic, however I still ended up just watching films from my portable HDD so don't miss it one bit.

As above Stu its horses for courses, both consoles are damn good. I tend to prefer the PS3 over the 360, no particular reason for this. DIRT2 is fantastic in single and multiplayer.

Both consoles are easy to setup on the network, just plug them into a hub or switch and away you go. PS3 also has wireless built in if you dont want to run CAT 5.

Blueray is also fantastic. Watching Black Hawk Down at 1080p is brilliant :)

I wouldn't bother anyway, the media extender is rubbish compared to the normal UP&P media support that both the 360 and PS3 have, slow, fewer codecs supported, requires media centre to be running rather than a small upnp service etc.

Thanks all - am leaning to an XBox360 with a FF wheel for the driving games. Since I'm unlikely to ever want online action, which is the one to go for - just noticed the MEA has one (not sure which model) at £155, Game have an Elite at £199 including two games. Would naturally prefer to buy local, long as I'm not bent over and lubed...

The Arcade might be your best option as its a bit cheaper but has no hard drive, just internal memory. The only difference with the Elite is it has a huge hard drive, but other than that there's no other differences. Plus, you can always pick up a hard drive if you found you needed one, they had some 20Gb ones in Faze2 last week for about £35.

The advantage of the Elite's big hard drive means you could install your games to the hard drive - you still need the disc in the tray to play them, but the console does less disc reading meaning quicker load times and less wear-and-tear on the discs themselves.

Whichever one you go for I'd suggest making sure you get the HDMI cable with it if the tv/monitor you're going to use it on has a HDMI socket, the difference is amazing and really worth it.

You'll be wanting one with a HDD for Forza, it prompts to install some stuff at the beginning to get the most out of it or something along those lines.

I bought Forza on the weekend after deliberating over it for ages, and also went full geekdom by getting a FF wheel with pedals, and it's seriously brill. I'm shite but the game is ace, with the wheel I'm on interior view at all times, where as with pads I was always more comfortable with external view.

I got the official XBOX wheel which is actually really good and good value too, considering it's £69.99 and I was expecting it to be nearer £99.

One thing I did find though is although it's wireless, it needs to be plugged into the mains for FF, otherwise you just get basic rumble like on the pads, I didn't think 2 AA's was going to drive FF :)

I've got both, always preffered the 360 but since my live sub ran out i decided to use the ps3 more, that's what i use now and to be honest prefer it, i only use the 360 to play games i've downloaded and burnt myself, anything else i use the ps3 for.

the online on the ps3 is just as good as the 360 now

Archived