Xmas Number 1

Slim

Stooping to personal insults now are we, Slim? Because I'm not falling into line and buying a record I don't like, because some people on the net say it'll be comeuppence for some people on the telly? Well, to coin a phrase, Fuck you etc you know how it goes.

Cheer up Declan, it was just a joke.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The reason I mentioned it, is because it just goes to show just how far up his own arse he is, that he thinks he has the pull to have a group of over 770,000 members.

Granted I don't like the fella, but his 25 million viewers pisses over 770,000 on a facebook group.

The winning No 1 single last year won by over 500,000 singles sold.

And I'm guessing not even 10% of X-Factor viewers will buy the single.

Stooping to personal insults now are we, Slim? Because I'm not falling into line and buying a record I don't like, because some people on the net say it'll be comeuppence for some people on the telly? Well, to coin a phrase, Fuck you etc you know how it goes.

Cheer up Declan, it was just a joke.

Hey Slim, leave Declan alone - he is actually stone deaf since birth and has never heard a single noise all his life. His taste in music is a carefully crafted mathematical formula entirely based on music press, critical blogs and popular music history... ;)

The winning No 1 single last year won by over 500,000 singles sold.

And I'm guessing not even 10% of X-Factor viewers will buy the single.

it seems that a only a fairly small percentage of the facebook group have also purchased the RATM single too. 175000 out of 770000ish.

still a good bit ahead of whatshisface though.

Given that the whole premise of this thread is musical snobbery that's a bit rich Slim.

As for fun, I'm sure the fans of X-Factor make the claim that it's a bit of fun.

Frankly, I'm not that bothered by what's number one at Xmas, but if the best that the anti-Cowell faction can throw at him is an almost 20 year-old song. And an Alt-Rock song at that (a genre created by the US record companies in the early 90's to emasculate Punk, Indie & Hardcore and replace it with nice malleable artists peddling faux teenage angst to the masses).

If you want to make a protest against manufactured pop, shouldn't the beneficiary be a new up-and-coming artist?

What to say? Declan, I have to say that I don't find your justifications about RATM playing genre-created music very persuasive. I can imagine some Music bore giving a run down of punks formative years in the 1970s showing how marketing agents and labels cashed in, blowing up the punk scene into the commercial thing it was. So what - and so what that similar things happened to RATM.

When they were a simple garage band, RATM recorded Killing in the Name onto a D90 self recorded tape to sell to friends - no music industry executive, or advertising agent was involved.

And guess what it stuck a nerve with people and was played all over the world - people enjoyed it, felt it said something about their lives and were willing to pay out their own cash to own it - and industry execs made a killing from it - what's new.

Sure its 20 years ago - and now, again entirely spontaneously, people start something which has taken off and connected with an entirely different generation of people - who like the punk and the grunge generation are seeing their "larking about" usurped by the ad men and those out to make money off yoof.

You may not like the song, but don't go all Pseuds corner Muso bore saying RATM was a sell out to the industry execs to justify it.

This isn't about music executives its about young people giving the finger to the bores of this world and having some fun.

Good on them. I sang to Band Aid, and now I'm as boring as you are - FFS let the kids have their fun its Xmas - and give a donation to shelter. Why not.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/53954/Rage-Aga...n-Is-Successful

Rage Against The Machine have promised to play a “free UK victory gig” if ‘Killing In The Name’ becomes Christmas number one.

Promoter Live Nation has since confirmed the band's plans and revealed X factor judge Simon Cowell has been asked to MC.

I sang to Band Aid, and now I'm as boring as you are

I hated Band Aid. Acts I especially hated getting together to do a shit song. Still makes me feel nauseous to even think about it. On the other hand it was a good early lesson in realising how shit everything is. Mostly.

If Simon Cowell was being Simon Cowell for charity it would be no less shit. He's interesting in a weird society of the spectacle kind of way. RATM seem a bit pointless. Give your money to Shelter but don't buy the record.

I sang to Band Aid, and now I'm as boring as you are

I hated Band Aid. Acts I especially hated getting together to do a shit song. Still makes me feel nauseous to even think about it. On the other hand it was a good early lesson in realising how shit everything is. Mostly.

If Simon Cowell was being Simon Cowell for charity it would be no less shit. He's interesting in a weird society of the spectacle kind of way. RATM seem a bit pointless. Give your money to Shelter but don't buy the record.

But RATM are going to donate profits to charity. Double win.

This isn't about music executives its about young people giving the finger to the bores of this world and having some fun.

Good on them. I sang to Band Aid, and now I'm as boring as you are .

I'd never have figured you for a former wild child! Bob Geldof, Simon Le Bon, Midge Ure, and Phil Collins... they were practically the N.W.A. of '84 ;)

£60 k for shelter now, excluding Rage's own donation.

Spoilerific, but this could be the chart:

1 KILLING IN THE NAME RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE 502672

2 THE CLIMB JOE MCELDERRY 450838

3 BAD ROMANCE LADY GAGA 61677

4 THE OFFICIAL BBC CHILDREN IN NEED MEDLEY PETER KAY'S ANIMATED ALL STAR 52605

5 STARSTRUKK 3OH3 FT KATY PERRY 40742

6 YOU KNOW ME ROBBIE WILLIAMS 38435

7 3 WORDS CHERYL COLE 36232

8 RUSSIAN ROULETTE RIHANNA 34094

9 DON'T STOP BELIEVIN' JOURNEY 33337

10 MEET ME HALFWAY BLACK EYED PEAS 32517

11 TIK TOK KESHA 26571