Xmas Number 1

Slim

The power of t'internet, hey.

The power of mass media hey?

Good, I'm glad that Killing in the name of got to number one. I see Tracey Morter every day, who can we pick next? Does this mean that the internet users have become the next corporate mass?

Aldous Huxley must be quivering saying 'I told you so' as he swung gently to the east then the north then the west*.

*don't bother correcting me on that, it's been a while since I read so apologies to the Huxlianestics

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh My Goth! by Razed In Black springs to mind as the closest thing to a goth anthem.

The Cult - She sells sanctuary

And anything by The Cure, but probably Lullaby.

The Damned?

Never really thought of them as anthems, or even particularly goth: I can't even remember The Cult and The Damned being played in the bigger venues. Siouxsie and the Banshees is probably closer to the 'classic goth' mark than the Cult, Damned, or even The Cure.

Perfect! Goths will do whatever you tell them to, provided you present it as non-conformists. Much like the people who supported this debacle.

Heh, play fair now! Every subculture associated with a genre of popular music is by definition all about conforming, and you must be aware that even you verge towards a certain stereotype when these kind of discussions come up.

Incidentally, the only goths I knew of who actually thought what they were doing wasn't conformity were the pompous guys no one particularly liked, spooky kids, and the more parochially minded teenagers who were trying to upset their parents and justify their lack of popularity at school. For everyone else it was an excuse to play dress up and dance about a bit - just like any self respecting genre of popular music.

Even if something genuinely discordant or controversial or difficult were to get the popular vote this is all still marketing bollocks - it's like setting up Persil as an alternative to Pedigree Chum. This is no different from Kylie vs Jason or Blur vs Oasis.

Even if something genuinely discordant or controversial or difficult were to get the popular vote - then it would mean that the discordant had been assimilated and neutralised. Which, of course, is has already, in advance.

Even if something genuinely discordant or controversial or difficult were to get the popular vote this is all still marketing bollocks - it's like setting up Persil as an alternative to Pedigree Chum. This is no different from Kylie vs Jason or Blur vs Oasis.

Even if something genuinely discordant or controversial or difficult were to get the popular vote - then it would mean that the discordant had been assimilated and neutralised. Which, of course, is has already, in advance.

And you.

This isn't about Rage against the machine being some kind of rebel song, it was simply about putting the fun back into the xmas number one by eliminating the boring foregone conclusion that the xfactor winner has become. That's all there is to it, so please stop making shit up so that you can sneer down at it.

I joined in, I listened to the countdown and I had fun. I bounced like a fool around the room with my kids when the song we rooted for won. That's it, in a nutshell.

an excuse to play dress up and dance about a bit - just like any self respecting genre of popular music.

Music can also be about playing with atmospheres and moods. I think FWIW that quite a lot of goth music tends to be about that although at a fairly simplistic level. Goth anthems always seemed very like warm fuzzy hymns. And gothy stuff is self consciously rather camp and theatrical too.

When people were first talking about music seeming gothic I think the term had much more to do with a music which seemed architecturally big than with Béla Lugosi make up.

+++

it was simply about putting the fun back into the xmas number one

What 'fun' ?

But apart from that what you are saying does not really contradict what I am saying.

What 'fun' ?

I had fun, it was fun, lots of people had fun, what more do you need?

But apart from that what you are saying does not really contradict what I am saying.

I think it did. This isn't kylie vs jason or blur vs oasis, because this wasn't some run of the mill chart compo. The xmas number 1 has turned into a boring dead cert dreary ballad from the xfactor factory. Now it isn't, through the power of the interwebs. Nothing like oasis vs blur at all.

Sorry, Vinnie, I'm a bit grumpy today, I'm so disconsolate at how this thing has turned out that I'm utterly depressed. It feels like the end of something. As if rock, punk, indie etc have decided to go down the same path pop has gone. It's so sad.

Archived